free website stats program Tire Valve Stem Alternatives | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tire Valve Stem Alternatives

A 90 degree valve stem may have clearance problems.
I don't have any problem on my '07 Ultra and I also have the front rotor covers so I have even less clearance.

Correct me please if i'm wrong;but aren't you talking about TUBED stems?Don't the spoked rims carry tubes for tyre inflation?
The rims in question are the 28 spoked CAST TUBLESS rims that are on '09 up bikes. Not wire spoked tubed rims.

I have an 09 RG with the cast "28 spoke" wheels. Yes it's hard, but for the front, it's not an issue. Front valve needs to be somewhat on the lower front so roll the bike around. For the rear, I roll the bike until the valve is on the bottom. I then go to the right side of the bike and I have to lay down, but it's do'able. The valve on the rear tire is on the right side of the wheel. Yes it's a pain, but rather use a 12 volt air compressor in my garage than trying to do this at a garage in a parking lot.

I'm getting it down pat now as I check my air each Sunday, same with all my fluids (just a habbit I got into over the years of riding).

Good luck!
Hi, you can find an air chuck on eBay that is angled just right for the 28 spoke front wheel. Search for 1/4" Angled Dual Air Chuck.

The air valve on '09 28-spoke wheels seem to be a little difficult to get at ... almost impossible with some gas station air pump apparatus. I talked to my dealer and to Harley customer service (800 number). Customer Service told me the valve is rubber and can be moved from side to side. Personally I don't think that's a very good idea over the long haul given the number of times air pressure will be checked and adjusted. It's bound to affect the valve seal at some point. The fix should be quite simple ... A 90 degree bend valve stem. But the Harley dealer doesn't have any and the parts dept say they've never seen any. Metric shops carry them ... Had one installed on my last bike (Nomad) when replacing the OME tire. So my question would be ... Is the valve size standard throughout the industry? Would the wheel rim mounting holes for the valves be the same size regardless brand manufacturer? Would an air valve for a metric wheel rim fit a Harley wheel rim? ... Failing that ... would there be any aftermarket valves at any of the Harley custom shops to fit the bill?
Hi, you can get a perfectly angled air chuck on eBay. Search for 1/4" Angled Dual Air Chuck

Last edited by a moderator:
The air valve on '09 28-spoke wheels seem to be a little difficult to get at ... almost impossible with some gas station air pump apparatus. I talked to my dealer and to Harley customer service (800 number). Customer Service told me the valve is rubber and can be moved from side to side. Personally I don't think that's a very good idea over the long haul given the number of times air pressure will be checked and adjusted. It's bound to affect the valve seal at some point. The fix should be quite simple ... A 90 degree bend valve stem. But the Harley dealer doesn't have any and the parts dept say they've never seen any. Metric shops carry them ... Had one installed on my last bike (Nomad) when replacing the OME tire. So my question would be ... Is the valve size standard throughout the industry? Would the wheel rim mounting holes for the valves be the same size regardless brand manufacturer? Would an air valve for a metric wheel rim fit a Harley wheel rim? ... Failing that ... would there be any aftermarket valves at any of the Harley custom shops to fit the bill?

Emu....I also had a Nomad with the 90* stems.
I now have an Ultra with the same stems.:D
They work great. I have no idea why HD did not come with them?
But for those of us that monitor our tire presure regularly it sure makes the job a lot easier.:newsmile07:

I totally agree. This is a huge pain for me. I usually remove my right saddlebag and still have to get the air hose behind the brake drum in order to fit it on. Plus, I wear my gloves so I don't burn my hands because the drum is usually still pretty hot by the time I get up to the gas station.

Something like this should work.
MC-945 - M/C Enterprises Angled Valve Stem
Our Price: $7.95

MC-945.jpg

I totally agree. This is a huge pain for me. I usually remove my right saddlebag and still have to get the air hose behind the brake drum in order to fit it on. Plus, I wear my gloves so I don't burn my hands because the drum is usually still pretty hot by the time I get up to the gas station.

Something like this should work.
MC-945 - M/C Enterprises Angled Valve Stem
Our Price: $7.95

MC-945.jpg

That's exactly what the Doctor ordered. :D
Thats even nicer than the 90* stem. Thanks for the link.

I also find the short straight stems just lack decent clearance to check air pressure (and god forbid you are out on the road trying to use whatever air chuck you run across at what passes for service stations these days). Yeah they look nice tucked in the wheel but I prefer to be able to check tire pressure over admire the stem. I am also going to source some angled stems for my next tire change. They make those checks flat out easy and therefore more likely to happen...

Phil

Hey Glider, the chuck you pictured won't fit on my rear tire. '09 RK. The spoke is too close to the valve sten and the chuck won't fit over the stem. I had to make my own by using the type of chuck you pictured and grind it down to a smaller diameter. The reason I used this chuck was because it has the clip to keep it on the stem and then I attached a valve and gauge on the other end of a 12" hose.
Maybe my rear rim is a one off but it sure is a poor design.

I like jvalny's post, the next time I am near an BMW dealer, I will pick up that 90 degree stem. I've done the UC numerous times and anything that will make it easier is greatly appreclated. Thanks again jvalny...:D

Back