Tire tubes

Discussion in 'Wheels' started by elkhunter149, Mar 24, 2010.

1. elkhunter149

elkhunter149 Account Removed

Wondering I you need to replace the tube on a spoke wheel every time I change my tire, which is every year?

2. kemo

kemo R.I.P

Should change the tube and the rim strip when doing a tire change.
    kemo

3. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Always a good idea here, Thanks Kemo

4. jaceddie

jaceddie Junior Member

For sure. It's worth it for the peace of mind.

5. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Tube and rim tape are not expensive and the tyre is off so id change them i always keep a couple of old tubes laying around and whenever i need some thin rubber i just cut a bit off

Brian

6. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

As Kemo & Fin said...learned this from bicycling for crying out loud...tires, tubes and rim tape are a blend of RUBBER, and takes only a couple years for rubber deteriorates not just on the skin surface, but internally. Just leave a rubber band, like a bungee cord strapped on the back of your seat under a bit of tension...turns into a crumbling mess in about a year or two. Do you really think a motorcycle setup used year around, or intermittant (which would extend the "wear out" component...would last "longer?" Trust me, if you still have the tires on after 5 or 6 years, check the sidewalls, if you see "checking" or microfractures but still have tread, change the works...sudden failure is not something to roll the dice with.

7. ojonesy

ojonesy Account Removed

All tubes grow over time.
    When you reinstall a used tube you run the risk of the tube "creasing" on
    itself causing a blowout...not good on a motorcycle.

Always use new tubes.

Brian