tire size

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by whitedog43, Dec 21, 2013.

1. whitedog43

whitedog43 Member

I have a 2006 electra glide classic, my question is can I go up one size on the rear tire without any problems. Thanks

2. tourbox

tourbox Senior Member

Possibly. I think you now have a 140/16(MU85 ?). You may be able to go to a 150/16. Problem would be with Belt clearance. You would only increase size by 10mm, that ain't much. Any bigger and would cost a lot of $$$$
    tourbox

3. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

I'd look at the belt clearance... Measure from the belt to the tire...

On my FXDS 00 Dyna I could go 150 from 140 with out a problem.

You might be a 150 now...???...

One size number wider REQUIRES a full 1/4 in on each side to fit.
    (mine went from 140 to 150) Cleared the belt by 1/8 " Belts were Wider on the Older 00 bikes. Don't know about the 06's

At least that is what I remember...:bigsmiley6:

signed....BUBBIE

4. Slo-Ryd

Slo-Ryd Junior Member Contributor

I could swear 06 went to the 1-1/8" pulley to allow for a 150 tire. At least the street glide did, not sure about the E-glide. However, I just put a 150 on my 03 and it's barely touching the lower belt guard. My plan is to trim the guard a little bit to give it the clearance needed. Like I said, it barely touches and I could probably ride it as is, but I just don't want some annoying squeak or squeal. I put a Avon Cobra on it and one manufacturers 150 WILL measure different than anothers. I was running a Michelin Commander MU85 which is a 140. Stock was a 130 for 03 and as you can see, I've been able to go wider. The key is to watch the clearances carefully.

5. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

The same size tire from 2 different manufactures will result in different circumference in the same size tire.:small3d023:

6. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Circumference should be pretty much the same on a new tyre but gets less as the tyre wears
    However the width is measured on the tread area a bias (belted cross ply) tyre has a much stiffer and straighter sidewall and the radial tyre has a softer slightly bulging sidewall
    Radial tyres need higher pressure than bias for the same application due to different construction type but will almost always have a bulge in the sidewall and therefore may foul the belt where a bias tyre would not
    So not different manufacturers tyres are different sizes but different construction types

Brian