free website stats program Tire Size vs Belt Issues | Harley Davidson Forums

Tire Size vs Belt Issues

Hi folks,
Hope everyone is doing well. I have a question. I have a 97 superglide that is for the most part stock. Today I bought a used MU85 16 tire to replace my MT90 16 tire or a 130 to a 140. I have the tire and rim on the bike and have just enough room between belt and tire so they dont rub. The wheel alignment is as perfect as I can get it as per Harley Manual. Took it for a test ride and everything is ok. Problem is when I backup it rolls about 3 foot and the belt slowly moves inward on the transmission drive gear and pushes the belt into the tire. Have I done something wrong or is this normal and thats why you can only go with a 130 or MT90. Thanks for any advise you can give!

Sincerely
Swifty

The belts will usually ride to the inside when backing the bike up. I usually like to stay with the same size tire that came off the rim.

Thanks Glider! I knew better than to go bigger but it looks so good with the bigger tire! I just never noticed the belt moving inward while backing up.

Swifty

Yes I am the poster child for what not to do! I am my own worst enemy! People please replace your tires with the size that came off and you to can prevent forrest fires!

Thanks again Glider

Swifty

Back