Tire Size Help

Discussion in 'Softail Models' started by lupfxst2003, Feb 17, 2009.

1. lupfxst2003

lupfxst2003 Member

Can anyone out there help me,I have a 2003 fxst standard and want to put a wider tire on the front. Can someone tell me which size to use, do not want Dunlope tires!!!! Thanks lupfxst

2. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

If you MUST go for a wider tire up front, do not go more than 1 size to minimize need to change rims, affecting the handling of the bike negatively or take chance on rubbing hardware like inner fender during suspension compression, like going over speed bumps...

http://www.hdtalking.com/brakes_tires_and_wheels/11375-tires.html

3. rancid

rancid Active Member

be careful of bigger tyres cos any change in height will change the trail n change the handling for the worse. also on the wide glide front end, a wider tyre will twist the front end when braking cos the top triple tree doesnt have any pinch bolts so the trees get out of line with each other, if that makes sense, as if u held the wheel n turned the bars to the side. if you want a wider front end i would recomend a twin brake front end.

4. lupfxst2003

lupfxst2003 Member

Rancid, thanks for the info I do know what you mean by out of line triple tree cause I have that now ,since that old man pulled out in front of me!!!! I just wanted to go wider that skinny tire handles for in gravel!!! Thanks Again Lupfxst

NewHD74Fan, Hey thanks for the info I have a friend that told me the same thing. I havn't been able to get a hold of him to get the tire size. Thanks Again Lupfxst

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2009
  5. glider

glider Veteran Member

Just my .02 on the wide tire. I changed a WG I had from the 21" to a 19" that fit perfectly. The difference in the overall height was only a bit more than 1/4" but the bike handled well after the change.

This is the 19" wheel.

Attached Files:

6. lupfxst2003

lupfxst2003 Member

Glider, Thats what i'm looking for did you have to change rim or just tire??? What size tire --/--/19 ?

7. glider

glider Veteran Member

Don't recall the size 19 possibly a 110 or 130?? , that was about 6 bikes ago but it is the standard size for the bikes like the superglide and low riders. I went the rim and tire replacement but you could have your wheel relaced with a 19" rim and gain the same thing just a bit cheaper.

8. glider

glider Veteran Member

Very possible Lew. That was many bikes ago and if I had to rely on my memory, I would be in the same boat as RichardS:D

9. STEVE07

STEVE07 Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderators

Of all the things Richard has lost,it's his mind he misses the most!:D

10. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

Six bikes ago...LOL :D Mainframe get's more upgrades than a Cray...! :rofl

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009