free website stats program tire selection | Harley Davidson Forums

tire selection

ooheritage

Hello to all, would anyone like to put in their two cents on the right tire number choice for a 2000 heritage? I ride with a M/C and we do things throughout the year, we don't cruise over 85 mph, live in the south central of the US, and do lots of snake corners and up and down hills. the rims are standard size front and rear. I was checking out the tire poll, and even though dunlop has more users I don't think I want to hassle with the cracks and the manufactures, I wonder how many people even check for cracks on the tires. Thanks for any feed back.

Hello to all, would anyone like to put in their two cents on the right tire number choice for a 2000 heritage? I ride with a M/C and we do things throughout the year, we don't cruise over 85 mph, live in the south central of the US, and do lots of snake corners and up and down hills. the rims are standard size front and rear. I was checking out the tire poll, and even though dunlop has more users I don't think I want to hassle with the cracks and the manufactures, I wonder how many people even check for cracks on the tires. Thanks for any feed back.

You probably have the Dunlop D402 MT90B16 front and rear on that bike although some folks may run an MU85B16 on the rear. As you said, there are some problems with cracks developing in the water grooves of the Dunlop D402s. I had one in the water groove of my rear tire after 4800 miles. I only discovered the crack after reading about the problem here. I now recommend that folks inspect their tires (front and rear) weekly.

I replaced my Dunlops with AVON Venoms front and rear (AM41 and AM42 respectively). I'll see how they do.

TQ

I like Michelin Commander Tires, they seem to hold the road very well, and the ride is (IMO) much smoother. I currently have Dunlops, because that's what came on the bike but when these wear out I'll go back to Michelins... so there's my 2-cents worth... :s

TQ how did those avon venoms work? Did you ever get them on?

Harry did you ever go back to the Michelin's I like the price but was wondering if I had to replace both at the same time, since I would be going to a new manufacturer and new tread style, Also do you know if they are a soft rubber or hard rubber? I just got a new Dunlop for the front, that's why I was asking whether or not to change both. Thanks for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
TQ how did those avon venoms work? Did you ever get them on?

Yes, I replaced the Dunlops with AVONs back in July when I found the crack in the water groove of the MU85B16 rear D402. The AVONs are:

AVON AM41 MT90HB-16 (1109) front, and
AVON AM42 140/90HB-16 (4908) rear

So far I have only racked up 1,500 miles on them. Too early to tell how they do on wear. They handle fine. I do not push my UC, so my demands on handling are fairly low. Should have a better handle on how these are doing by the end of the Summer.

TQ

Metzeler ME 880's for me. Nitrogen filled. Priced right. Excellent in the rain & grooved / scarred pavement. Can almost get as much mileage out the rear (150mm) tire as w/the Dunlop

'06 Heritage - combination country back roads & Interstate

thats why i replaced both my tires a few months ago, spider cracks, the front looked as new but didnt like the cracks. i had the rear replaced at a local shop but did the front myself. i also used the dynabeads in the front and it runs smooth as silk. i used dunlops 402 HD tires on both. the price isnt bat. i got 9000 miles on my rear, it wore out, and 9000 on front before the cracks. they were maxxis so now ill see how many miles ill get on the dunlops. when i bought the maxxis i got both, 21" front and 16' rear with a new 21" tube and liner for under $130.00 to my door. the dunlops cost me around $160.00 for both.

Hotrod,

If you don't mind, where did you get the Dunlops from? That is some good pricing especially if it includes the shipping..

Doug

Back