free website stats program Tire Replacement | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tire Replacement

I changed to Metzeler ME880s , but not sure how much difference there is. Seems to be a little stiffer. No problems with the dunlop.

My bike is due for a new rear tire. What brand is the best combination of quality and economy?

In a nutshell, if your tires are H-D OEM Dunlops, and you are happy with them...THEY are the best combo regarding price and availability with a long lasting rubber compound making it the most economical based on mileage as well.

Beyond that, you can use the SEARCH tab and type in keywords like tire poll to find related threads. Good luck and happy hunting. Expect to pay $75 an hour at the dealer. If you are mechanically inclined, pick the tire at a metric dealer and carry in the removed tire and they will mount and balance said tire FREE.

My bike is due for a new rear tire. What brand is the best combination of quality and economy?

If you're happy with the OEM tires stick to them....

If you go the "alternative tire" route, how are you going to mount them?
at home, or at a friend's place, no sweat.
If you have them mounted at a dealership/indy... you might want to confirm they WILL mount tires you bring in.... some will, others won't.

I'm partial to the Dunlop Elite-3. For ME, it's a better "feel" than the D-402.

I respectfully disagree with the "keep the same tire make and model front and rear" comments. but that would be YOUR choice...

There are lots of "good tires" out there, and the internet is chock full of tire sellers. You just need to do your own home work. Every tire has it''s supporters, and they all have detractors.

Last edited:
Had OEM Dunlops on from the beginning. Just recently changed them out at 13500 with the same. No problems encountered.

Michelin Scorchers came on my 2010 FXDC.....8k on the bike last summer and still have plenty of life in them according to the dealer I do service at. Expect I'll replace them at the end of next season......Good grip in the rain....got caught out twice this last summer and had no problems.

Had a bike tech once tell me that Dunlops are the hardest carcass made of any bike tire. I think he was probably right as folks often quote going 15-20k miles on a pair of tires. If economy is your game, then hard to argue against a Dunlop. If you like to ride hard and need grip and performance, then a softer compound would probably be what you need. Michelins, Avons, Metzlers. I now ride an Ultra, and my need for grabbing in the corners is gone. So Dunlops fit the bill for my current riding requirements.

Putting michelins on mine this winter. Ive been hearing good things about the scorchers and commanders.

Had a bike tech once tell me that Dunlops are the hardest carcass made of any bike tire. I think he was probably right as folks often quote going 15-20k miles on a pair of tires. If economy is your game, then hard to argue against a Dunlop. If you like to ride hard and need grip and performance, then a softer compound would probably be what you need. Michelins, Avons, Metzlers. I now ride an Ultra, and my need for grabbing in the corners is gone. So Dunlops fit the bill for my current riding requirements.

The 407 & 408F Dunlops are proprietary HD branded for the size to fit my '07 FXSTC.
I am satisfied with their performance and mileage.

Al

:USA
:CONNECTICUT

Back