free website stats program Tire Repair Kit | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tire Repair Kit

There have been a few times in the past that Ive patched a tube at the side of the road but those bikes had centre stands
using the short bike tool kit tyre leavers is a real pain as is pumping up with a hand pump
But i was younger then now i have the AA relay service to call on

Brian

Plugs have historically failed in both automotive and motorcycle applications. I investigate such claims of damage for AAA. The problem is that a tech or a no tech can never really no the shape and extent of damage. It may look like an ordinary nail, but depending on how the tire picked up the object, it may have ahd some lateral damage as well. In order for a plug to be an "accepted" repair, the hole must be reamed to the exact circumference required by plug manufacturer, and must also be done at the angle of entry into tire. Without the proper technique, and the stars lining up, a plug is at risk of failure. Also, if not trimmed properly after installation, rubber compound can grip hot asphalt and be pulled out of the tire. Trim too much and it can be pushed into tire.
If I were you, I would carry a plug to be used ONLY to get you SAFELY to a shop and let an expert determine the original cause of failure and what course should be taken. Personally, I would replace a tire even if it was just driven out of showroom. A tire is only as strong as its weakest area. you only have a few inches of rubber on the ground at any moment. Your worth the cost of a new tire!!!!!

USMCCW05 I personally think that you have more control with a front tire that has gone flat than a rear. I don't want to really test the situation but seems to me with arear tire you will get fish tailing. A front tire I would think that you have some control with the handle bars. What do you think.

I had a puncture on the rear at 70 on the motorway I was 2 up at the time and a fair bit of gear on the bike
got the speed down a bit before we got dumped on the tarmac we managed to take up all three lanes of the motorway as we went down and i bounced off the side of a bus as i slid along the tarmac
when we came to a stop the old bonnie was laying in the fast lane engine still running and back wheel still turning we were both sore for a couple of weeks (leather is a good protector)
twice had the front tyre go on the guzzi both times at about 70 both times 2 up with a lot of gear on the bike both times front wheel bounced about a bit bike was difficult but not out of control (steering damper may have helped)
might have had a couple of years and a lot of miles of more experience but came safely to a stop on both occasions

Brian

Back