Tire Repair Kit

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by lqdesertrider, Nov 8, 2008.

1. lqdesertrider

lqdesertrider Member

I have a 2004 Road Glide with Dunlop tires and I'm getting ready for a long trip. What suggestions do you have for type of repair kit I should carry with me?

Slime? Can of tire inflater? 12v pump? tire patches? plugs?

Thanks,

2. Jammr

Jammr Active Member

Nooooo! Hobbit is right on. Never ride on repaired tire! A can of flat fix (if possible) and a nice leisurely ride to the nearest bike shop for replacement - period. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.00 on a repaired tire. Ever.

3. dangerdan

dangerdan Junior Member

Why not a plug ?
    If I had a flat and I found a nail in my tire in the middle of no where and I had a plug to fix it, why not use it .

I would not race back at full speed to fix it , but I would think 30 MPH would be a safe speed till I found a dealer to replace that tire.

I dont like plugs either as people have a tendancy to forget them but in an emergancy I dont understand ?

4. USMCCWO5

USMCCWO5 Junior Member

Yes, plug for rear tire, in the tread and not the sidewall. Front, I may, but probably only under extreme circumstances.

Here in CA, you have to talk nice to get a tire shop to repair a car tire.:newsmile011:

5. glider

glider Veteran Member

6. ngjandm

ngjandm Active Member

I search a bit until I found this. Bah....just had a new rear tire put in, and now it has a nail in it. it's not flat, so I can get it from work to the shop, and I do need a new front tire as well, the only complaint is the rear tire has maybe 300 miles on it.

7. pops55

pops55 Active Member

I would carry a plug kit on a trip just to be used in an emergency and only to get to a shop to have a new tire put on. I'm not comfortable ridding on a plugged tire.

Pops

8. hoggy25

hoggy25 Active Member

Remember if you have to use a plug to get to a shop you CANNOT use one on a tube tire. So you guys with spoked wheels beware. Most but not all spoked wheels are tube though. The % age is small for the ones that are not. I guess I'm one of those idiots that have used pugs with no ill effect ever. I know there's always a 1st time but in my 46years of riding and taking chances with plugs I've never had one fail. I did however have a bad experiance with that fix a flat stuff you spray into a flat tire (use just once) and would take a plug any day over that stuff. Hmm lets see. Plugs several over 46 years no bad results. And 1 fix a flat that resulted in uncontrolable wobble causing accident, 1 time = 100% bad results. But than again, yes I agree, it is best to replace a damaged tire.

9. Rewind

Rewind Active Member

Is there any type of emergency fix for those of us with tube tires???

10. glider

glider Veteran Member

Not much you can do with tube type other than a patch in desperation but that requires more than you can do on the side of the road or call a tow truck.