free website stats program Tire questions, how many can you answer? | Harley Davidson Forums

Tire questions, how many can you answer?

warose

I bought this bike (2001 FLHRI) with already custom 18" wheels front and back My questions are as follows (answer any or all that you can).
1. What size tire (max width)can fit on a 2001 Road King with 18" wheels and stock fenders? Currently I'm 130/70-18.
2. I'm having problems finding the same kind of tire that will fit for Front labeled tires and for Rear labeled tire. Can I use a front tire on the rear also since more front tires are available in 130/70-18?
3. It has Avon AM23 front and rear (they are mounted in opposite directions as it recommends on sidewall) with good tred put cracked up sidewalls from just sitting around for years. Does anyone have experience with AM23's and love or hate them?
4. Tire recomendations for front and rear 18" wheels?

1 150 should be ok, any more be careful

2 no

3 Avon makes good racing tires.. btw, change the ones you have, sidewall cracks no good.

4 thats a very big can of worms to open :)

search 'tires' on the forum search, grab a coffee, and read..lots of info there.

To be honest tires that are the right size, right speed and weight rating, and right type of tire, including one built for front and back of the same type is a short list if you look at the best tire companies. Unless I mix it up I'm not getting a true pair meant to be together. My old tires were for front or back and labled in which direction to mount for front or back. I guess I'm getting another pair of the same but 140 if I can. Yea, cracked sidewalls is not a good look, or risk.

If you have ANY cracking on the tires, change them out. Not worth the risk.

The rims you have on the bike will dictate the maximum tire diameter that you can use. The other consideration is interference with the inside of the fender. Measure that. Don't forget to look for wire runs up inside the fender (lights at rear).

Go to the various manufacturers' sites that you are considering and look for their "fitment" guides. If you have a non-standard set of rims, then check for those diameters and see what sizes will go on your rim size (width not diameter).

Tires must ALWAYS be mounted with the arrow on the sidewall pointed in the direction the tire will rotate when the bike is going forward!! Additionally, the painted "dot" on the sidewall should be mounted so it lines up with the valve.

Mount "front" tires on the front of the bike, and "rear" tires on the rear of the bike. Yes, it make a difference.

Make sure you get the highest speed rating you can for the tire you choose. (At least H).

TQ

Thanks. My 'vintage' style Avon tires are fairly rare universals that are meant for front or back. I need new tires, new registration and new inssurance all at the same time(about $1000 almost). That's just bad luck.:bigsmiley19:

Oh, & I have 4.5" x 18 wheels front and back so my stock fenders are my limiting factor and I don't want to mod or change them. My style and personal prefference says wider the better since the fenders limit me from going too wide.

Oh, & I have 4.5" x 18 wheels front and back so my stock fenders are my limiting factor and I don't want to mod or change them. My style and personal prefference says wider the better since the fenders limit me from going too wide.

woops, 4" wide. I have a feeling I'm just talking to myself on this thread but I was clearing up my mistake.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have Avons Venom AM42 now, they are ok they have a unstable feeling riding over asphalt patches or grooves on the road. After these ware out I'm going back to Metzlers,only one size bigger. A certain size it does not mean the Diameter and width are going to be the same. Metzlers are a tad smaller in Dia. and taller than some other brands. Go to each tire manufacture on line and print out the tire spec charts. This is what I found for my 06 heritage, first the dunlop 150/80/1671h is 25.25 dia,6.25 width,8/32 tread. then the metzeler 150/80/16 71h is 25.45" dia, 5.85" width, 8.0mm tread depth. Now the Avon Venom AM42 150/80/16 77V is 25.20" dia,6.20" A Metzeler 150/80/16 is really a 140/80/16 in the real dia. and width compared to a stock dunlop or Avon. The Diameter makes a difference in the gearing. not to lug or to lug.

well, I hope you got a few answers anyway :)

we all agreed you need new tires, the front should be on the front,
back on the back, and you have checked the fenders

Have a read here:

Wide tires - Harley Davidson Community

Best Brand of Tires - Harley Davidson Community

Rear tire size ? - Harley Davidson Community

Tire POLL - Harley Davidson Community

most guys just stick with dunlops.. I have Meztlers myself, never had Avons
on a Harley, but 12 guys voted for it.. maybe you can hunt them down and pm
them for how happy they are :)

Back