free website stats program Tire Question | Harley Davidson Forums

Tire Question

TheJudge

Is it necessary to run the same tire brand and tread on both front and rear? I recently replaced my front tire on my 91 1200 with a Dunlop 401. Now I need a rear and found a Kenda with some good reviews.
WAP.gif

Ultimately the best is the same brand on both ends. There will be a difference in compound etc. So the ride quality you are used to may be different. If happy with Dunlops and service you have received from them, I would stay the course. My big concern is the different brands of tire which I have had experience with and really disliked bike till I installed match pair...

I myself would match the two tires and would not mix them by brand or otherwise. Maybe if I was on 4 wheels but not when on 2. I want everything in my favor when it comes to gripping the road.

This is just my opinion with nothing scientific to back it up, because I am sure people do it all the time. Heck a few months back there was a guy who put a car tire on his bike. But he hasn't logged in for some time.

I myself would match the two tires and would not mix them by brand or otherwise. Maybe if I was on 4 wheels but not when on 2. I want everything in my favor when it comes to gripping the road.

This is just my opinion with nothing scientific to back it up, because I am sure people do it all the time. Heck a few months back there was a guy who put a car tire on his bike. But he hasn't logged in for some time.

Car tire on the back of a bike has been dubbed "going dark side". Here is a video where a guy mounted a car tire on his vulcan.....put a camera under the bike. Boy does that tire ride up on edge. It has to be tough to get that bike to lean in.

‪Going over to the "Dark Side" on my Vulcan 2000‬‏ - YouTube

and another vid of a guy doing figure eights with a car tire:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAHlbSzwjsg&feature=related

Missed the 5 minute edit limit before posting this one but it is the best vid I have seen on dark side mounting.....a guy absolutely flogging his valkyrie with a car tire:

‪VALKYRIE DARKSIDE VIDEO‬‏ - YouTube

I apologize in advance for hijacking your post.......have always been intrigued by this method of putting a car tire on a bike and though it fit in with the quesiton of mis matched tires on a bike. These guys certainly get away with mis matching that is for sure.

Great Video! Near the very end of video #1 you can actually see the rubber wrinkle over. Imagine in the rain when the tread comes back in contact with the pavement.

Gotta watch 2 & 3 now.:)

Great Video! Near the very end of video #1 you can actually see the rubber wrinkle over. Imagine in the rain when the tread comes back in contact with the pavement.

Gotta watch 2 & 3 now.:)

It is amazing that it can be done! Can't say I would do it but would love to take a turn on a bike set up that way. Guess if you are the type to lay rubber alot this would be a cheaper way to go about it......car tires can be had pretty cheap!

I would always use a matched pair of tyres
Different compounds give different ranges of grip and both tyres need to work together to keep you upright

Brian

Back