free website stats program tire pressure | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

tire pressure

06 Sporty here.

I have been filling my tries (front and back) to 41 psi for the past 4 months.... because thats what the tires reads... but yes... max tire pressure.

Just picked up a service manual and its states 30 in the front... in the rear 36\ 40 riding 2up.

So yep... I need to let some air out. I thought the bike had a bit of a sharp jolt when going over whatever... too much pressure. Tires were so hard that I could practically feel it if I ran over a cig butt :)

06 Sporty here.

I have been filling my tries (front and back) to 41 psi for the past 4 months.... because thats what the tires reads... but yes... max tire pressure.

Just picked up a service manual and its states 30 in the front... in the rear 36\ 40 riding 2up.

So yep... I need to let some air out. I thought the bike had a bit of a sharp jolt when going over whatever... too much pressure. Tires were so hard that I could practically feel it if I ran over a cig butt :)

You will get more even tire tread wear and longer tire life as a side benefit by running tires at the proper pressure. Factories have spent lots of time finding out what is optimum. :newsmile014:

These are the reasons so many people get less than normal life out of a set of tires. I talked with a friend last night, who, after 5k needs new tires, and I asked him how often he check the pressure and he said "every few weeks or so". Not good, if you ride alot then every time is good, but if you're a weekend rider then once a week is good. If the tire says Max pressure 40lbs, then go 35.
Also, if your bike has an air ride, then that too should be adjusted, but DO NOT use and air hose to adjust that, you must use a H-D hand pump made just for that.

On my '07 Sporty the dealer said that Dunlop advised running 36psi front and back both solo and with a passenger. They (Dunlop) said that the higher inflation in the front improved handling.

I would stick with the HD factory recommendation only because they get their figures statistically from testing experience done over quite a few years the Sporty model has been out, in a street cruiser/touring environ. Dunlop is probably using their track/racing performance rider experience using softer sport/racing compounds short term...not long term touring riding day to day street cruiser/touring experience on probably lighter weight metrics where temperatures/grip/cornering stresses are less and more mileage, load bearing, harder compound street tires are used. :reyes

The real tale of the tape is when your tires are worn to check the tread wear indicators...if worn edge to edge fairly evenly, the "average" tire pressure over the life of the tire was correct. If the center is worn out, but plenty of rubber tread nearest the sidewalls, you were either a pretty straight up rider (very few curves taken at "spirited pace") or they were over-inflated over the life of the tire. If the center has tread, but the end treads are worn, the tire was run under inflated over its life, use your judgement what tire pressure you were using for your situation. :small3d011:

I'm not sure that correct pressure reduces wear. I played around with my 1994 XLH 883 and what produced the biggest patch was 18 PSI front and 24 PSI rear. This also absorbed more impact and made a softer ride.

I also learned that in the rain, the lower pressure slid (hyrdoplaned?) a lot more easily than the proper factory pressure.

With cars, it's easier, you just feel the tires and if it feels low in the middle you got too much air, if it feels low on the corners, you've got too little air. On my old 1970 VW Beetle it was happy with the formula above: 18 PSI front and 24 rear. Any more than that, and the tires wore down the center fast (over inflated.) Of course I had one size too wide Michelins as they didn't make the correct VW tire size anymore.

I keep factory pressure in my HD tires now. They stick better in the rain that way. I keep 40 in the rear as I weigh 200 lbs before clothes, boots, helm, and various assorted accessories.

Moe.

I'm not sure that correct pressure reduces wear. I played around with my 1994 XLH 883 and what produced the biggest patch was 18 PSI front and 24 PSI rear. This also absorbed more impact and made a softer ride.

It probably produced the biggest patch but running them that low would cause overheating from the flex of the tire and could cause tire separation as well, not to mention the adverse handling of an under inflated tire.

Everything that has been said is correct.
However, just to throw a spanner in the works, I run Avon Venoms.
It was suggested i change as the ride would be much better, and it is!!
The tyre pressure for these is higher than the stock Dunlop.
Something like 36 front and 39 rear, but the Avon tyre website will give you accurate figures. Worth looking at.
Rubydee

Back