free website stats program Tire pressure | Harley Davidson Forums

Tire pressure

softail00

I have looked through the fourm and cant really find a straight answer. It seems that not everybody goes by their manual. So what is the correct tire pressure (riding solo) on a 2000 heritage softail classic. :small3d026:

I have always ran the max preasure that is shown on the tires on all my bikes. That seamed to give me the best tread milage and handling.

I follow the manual on this one. My tread wear seems to be very good and the handling seems to be equal to it.
Ugly John

I have looked through the fourm and cant really find a straight answer. It seems that not everybody goes by their manual. So what is the correct tire pressure (riding solo) on a 2000 heritage softail classic. :small3d026:

OK..I'm maybe a new harley rider...but I worked aircraft maintenance for over 25 years. If a specification is stated (in this case a tire pressure setting stated in the manual), you follow that recommendation. With aircraft, you don't follow the rules , you could possibly kill someone. With your ride, you could kill yourself. You decide.

OK..I'm maybe a new harley rider...but I worked aircraft maintenance for over 25 years. If a specification is stated (in this case a tire pressure setting stated in the manual), you follow that recommendation. With aircraft, you don't follow the rules , you could possibly kill someone. With your ride, you could kill yourself. You decide.

I agree totally. The manual is written specifically for your bike. Granite, there are some typO's. But as WildThang said, why would you put in 38 when the manual says 36. The manual says 32oz of oil, you don't put in more or less you put in 32oz. The first thing I bought after my bike was the manual. I refer to manual and HDTimeline when I'm in doubt. And usually not in that order.

Use the recommended pressure for that tire from the manual for the bike. The MAX pressure is a guide to not over inflating the tire and should never be used as the tire pressure setting. Keep in mind also that if you did use the MAX pressure, after the tire heats up from riding that the MAX pressure would be increased by about 4 lbs making it over inflated and a dangerous situation.

The max preasure on the tire is always listed on the tire as maximum cold preasure isn't it? What if the the does not have the tires as the original on the bike. Would the suggested preasure in the manuel still apply?

I would check with the tire manufacturer for the best tire pressure for the application if no manual is available.

Unless someone has proof to the contrary I would use what is in the owner's manual.

On my bike the front pressure (cold) is given as a constant inflation pressure. The rear has a range of pressures (cold) depending on the load. I haven't seen any information that justifies not using the recomendations. I'm guessing any HD dealer would give someone the recommended pressures for their bike if the owner doesn't have a manual.

I run stock tires and have gotten very good mileage out of my tires. I do check my tire pressures frequently.

the tyre pressure in the manual will be the correct pressure for the tyre that is fitted at the factory
if you change the type of tyre you may have to adjust the pressures to suit the new type of tyre
best rule of thumb is tyre pressure difference between cold and hot is 4 psi
if its less than 4psi tyre pressure is to high and if more than 4 psi tyre pressure is to low
the change in pressure between hot and cold is caused by the increase in heat, the heat is caused by the tyre sidewall flexing
IE more flexing more heat = not enough pressure

Brian

Back