free website stats program Tire Pressure Question | Harley Davidson Forums

Tire Pressure Question

Hello All,

Recently picked up an 07 Sportster 1200L. Cold tire pressures as set at the dealership are 38 lbs on the front tire and 41 lbs on the rear. The manual calls for 30 lbs on the front and 36 on the rear (for solo rider). Any thoughts on why the dealership may have them set so much different from factory specs? I was really kind of shocked by how far off the front tire in particular was.

Also, curious about thoughts on optimal pressures based on other's experience with similar bikes.

Thanks.

It is rather odd that the setup was not centered within a few pounds on nominal, but oversight like hindsight, fault is circumstantial at best, but negligent IF it was part of any critical such as just replacing the tires, or after a brake job, failing to bleed the brakes or test riding before letting the customer ride it away.

Good call, that after any dealer service or routine maintenance, you as a rider should always do a "pre-flight", just because when all is said and done, your safety and rider-"manship" is purely up to your, with regard to personal attention to detail. Consider it a job well done (by you) to have picked up on their error...:s

The manual will give pressure for the stock tires...best thing to do is go by the recommended pressure on the sidewall of the tire on the bike.

The manual will give pressure for the stock tires...best thing to do is go by the recommended pressure on the sidewall of the tire on the bike.

I thought that the tire pressure on the sidewall is the MAX psi ????

Strongly disagree the presure on the side wall is a max presure not the recommend.
A tires Max prsure rating maybe no were near the prsure it is designed to run at on your bike.

OK, what's tire pressure for a stock dunlop on the front?? Do Avon's and Metz's and Dunlops run the same pressure, I Ihave a pair of E3`s on now and I checked the sidewall on the front ; Max Load 783lbs. AT 40 PSI Cold..So I run the front at 40lbs and don't load it down over 738lbs.It's a Dunlop so it could be the same as stock 402"s, I think they call for 36llbs
Manual gives tire pressures for stock tires, if you change from stock,tire pressure changes too

The tire maker should give you the correct presure.
All that side wall tells you is what the higest presure it can take is.
We have had problems in the past on some of heavy loaders with this side wall says 80 pounds well most brands are run at about 40 some brands at 50 none ever at 80.

I've never seen one at 80lbs either, I skipped the metric scales on the tire but maybe it was 80Kpa at 325 Kg load,but the original question was why a different tire pressure in the manual than it was pumped too the tire on the bike and different manufactures run different pressures on their tires, change from stock, proper pressure changes too.

Best recommendation would be to follow the owners manual if running OEM tires. When/if you change to another model or another brand, call the tire manufacturer, tell them what bike you have and they will give you a recommended inflation pressure.

The correct tire pressure for my 2004 XL1200R is 30 psi front 36 psi rear, if two up increase the rear to 40 psi, the XL1200C has the 21" wheel/tire combo, but my service manual says tire pressure is the same, but check your owners manual to be sure. If you have no reference manuals, make that quick call to your HD dealer and he will cheerfully look it up for you.

That said, if you change tires from the OEM (Dunlop) stockers, you may have to go to the tire manufacturer for additional information for their recommended inflation pressure for your model bike. They have to do their homework and long term research also, so let them tell you. Usually it be within a few pounds of the OEM recommendation so this second point may be moot, but it is a starting point, does not hurt to ask, and is a guide line. The correct tire pressure will give you even tread wear and best performance over the long haul...

I've always followed the rule that for maximum tire life (even wear and no overheating) the tire pressure should always be measured and then filled to the maximum listed on the sidewall when the tire is "cold" (driven for less than a mile after sitting for 8 hours). I've also followed the pressures listed on the sidewall even if they conflict with what is in the manual. So far, have gotten better mileage than most of my friends have. Just my $0.02.

Back