Votes: 15 1.9%
  • Michelin

Votes: 61 7.7%
  • Maxxis

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 4 0.5%

• Total voters
AVON AM23 front and rear. 130/70 VB18SC V260 on 4" wide custom wheels to be exact. 4,000 miles on them and I'm shopping new tires. Dunlop - Metzeler - Avons - maybe Michelin will be the companies I will compare.
2001 FLHRI

After reading all this about the Dunlop D402s, I checked mine out this morning. Sure enough, I have the exact problem Steve07 described in his post. Mine looks like this:

ae526034b967c50b7109f648db95fbe6c5acb267.pjpg

Now I have to figure what to do about this tire! Not riding with this crack in the center of the tread pattern.

TQ

TQ

Contact Dunlop and explain that you have one of the "problem " tires that you read about and ask them how you go about getting a replacement.

Think positive! :s

TQ

Contact Dunlop and explain that you have one of the "problem " tires that you read about and ask them how you go about getting a replacement.

Think positive! :s

Tried that. They said to take/send the tire back to the retailer where the tire was purchased (on-line) and that retailer will determine if the problem is "an unserviceable defect" and the probable cause. If determined to be a manufacturing defect, then Dunlop will issue a credit to the retailer for a replacement tire, or if less than 50% tread depth left, then 50% credit on a replacement tire (the rest would be from me). I measured the tread depth, and there is about 3-4 mm left in the center (this tire was replaced in Oct., and has about 4,600 miles) on it. A new MU85-16 is supposed to be 11/32" tread depth. So half would be 11/64 = 0.172". Mine measures ~4mm = 0.157". So I might get a 50% credit on a new tire. But here is the rub: this whole process will take at least 3-4 WEEKS!!

So. Based on this whole problem with Dunlop tires, I am switching to AVON Venom AM41/AM42. Have been running these on the small bike (Dyna) for years, and really like them. Thought I liked the Dunlops, but this whole experience has changed that.

TQ

I feel for you TQ,even though they replaced mine under warranty I find myself checking the tires out every time I go for a ride.I really think I am going to have to change makes before I am 100% confident again.

I feel for you TQ,even though they replaced mine under warranty I find myself checking the tires out every time I go for a ride.I really think I am going to have to change makes before I am 100% confident again.

Absolutely. I am shocked by Dunlop's stance on this. Seems to me this is a fairly wide-spread manufacturing problem that is very much a safety concern. Not sure if that split is related to any of the "rapid deflation" issues, but I would have expected that they would want me to take my tire to ANY retailer of the D402s for evaluation/full warranty exchange as long as the tire tread depth is within usable specs. Their warranty is full replacement for the first 50% tread depth life, and then 50% replacement for anything under 50% of new tread depth.

So. Changing to AVON Venoms. Yesterday afternoon ordered front and rear as follows:

Items Shipped
Item Status Price Quantity Total Item Price
AM42 Venom Rear Tire
Color - --, Size - 140/90HB-16
SKU# 50535 Shipped $150.99 1 $150.99
AM41 Venom Front Tire
Color - --, Size - MT90HB-16
SKU# 50287 Shipped $131.99 1 $131.99

Free S&H (Motorcycle-Superstore)

Interestingly, when I called one of the HD Dealerships here to talk about this problem, the Service guy had not heard of the problem. I had to explain the issue and what Dunlop's warranty was. He indicated that if I brought the bike in (how? towing?) they could have me out of there with a new Dunlop MU85-16 bw for $285. What a deal! (NOT!!)

Will let you know how the Avons do on the dresser.

TQ

Back