free website stats program Tire plug? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tire plug?

does anyone have an opinion on using the green slim stuff to fix a flat. I have used this in my car without any problems.

does anyone have an opinion on using the green slim stuff to fix a flat. I have used this in my car without any problems.
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe that a lot of shops won't work on a tire with slime in it. Does that still hold true for the most part?

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe that a lot of shops won't work on a tire with slime in it. Does that still hold true for the most part?

Yep, it degrades the innards of the tire, some of this stuff is explosive

I just ordered one of those StopNgo tire plug kits, with the actual rubber plugs...not rubberized string. Looks like a good design. It comes with 4 CO2 bottles. With shipping...$57. Should be good for clean straight punctures such as nails or screws that go directly into the tire. The mushroom head of the plug is very small, about 1 1/2 times the thickness of the plug body itself. Certain type punctures such as slices cannot be fixed using this method, but it should be good to go for clean straight round puncture holes. The alternative, if stuck out somewhere, is to carry a large C-clamp to compress the tire to break the bead on the motorcycle. Mark the exact position of the tire to the wheel. Carefully work one bead over the rim and place a small flat wooden block to hold the tire bead away from the rim so that you can clean the area to be patched, and then (with great difficulty) apply a tire patch to the inside of the tire. You'll have to figure out a way to get that wheel off the ground to reinflate it with a hand pump, or a 12 volt air compressor. You may have to use something...a belt or a rope twisted to compress the center of the tire to force the tire beads against the wheel to get a good seal first. A stack of scrap wood laying nearby may be used to get that wheel off the ground. If you have a good imagination and a strong back, then anything is possible rather than just being stuck. If fixing the tire on the bike doesn't work for you, then you'll have to pull the wheel off. Anything can be done if you're on the road if you use your imagination to get it done. Of course, this is just the way I think. I always carry tools and tire patching stuff and am prepared for anything. Always been that way since my Boy Scout days 55 years ago. If nothing else, I hope you've got a tow service card to get your bike to a shop! Once I got home and the bike on the lift, I'd probably still put a patch on the inside of the tire for safety.

Picked up a small screw in the front tire of my bike coming back from Biketoberfest. The tire is new, only have 2300 miles on it, the screw is small and right in the center of the tread, nowhere near the sidewalls. I have three options, plugging it, putting in a tube or buying a new one. Really don't wanna buy another tire so soon so am looking for advice. I plug tires on my truck all the time and have never had a problem..however, only have one chance with a m/c tire so looking for opinions on this. thanx.

Plugs are for emergency use "ONLY"!!!! :shock At least that is what my friend is preaching after plugging his rear tire and setting out on a 600 mile run. Story is he made it around 400 miles before the tire lost pressure at 70 mph on I-95 near Jacksonville, FL. Both he and his wife were injured, "not life threating" thank God.
His position now, plug the (EDIT) thing you only have 2 under your ares.
Personally, I think it is great advise.

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

The choice is yours my friend, have a great day. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Had a brother try a plug!! Spent 2 weeks in the hospital after the plug failed and totaled the bike also. Think it over!!!!!!:newsmile03:

Just took delivery of a StopNGo tire plug kit today, the one with actual rubber plugs. The instructions say, "Do not attempt to repair punctures greater than 5/16" (7mm). This is considered a temporary repair on all street vehicles. "On the wheel" repairs are classified as emergency only. The tire must not be run more than 100 miles at speeds no greater than 50 mph, until the tire is dismounted, inspected, and permanently repaired or replaced."

Back