free website stats program Tire plug or not!! | Harley Davidson Forums

Tire plug or not!!

tdufren

The Harley shop found a nail in my tire after checking pressure and told me they do not plug tires because of liability issues. They said I could plug it myself or have someone do it for me. I decided to change tire for safety but was curious to know if any body is riding around on a tire with a plug in it.

I have but not for long, it is not a permanent repair

Have and just long enough to get it home. Think about doing 70 plus and tire plug comes out of a front tire !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have it changed as soon as possible.

I carry a plug kit with me, and have plugged several tires on the side of the road. I always stress that it's TEMPORARY, and to replace the tire ASAP. One Aspencade rider saw me at a poker run a month or so later and said "thanks a lot for fixing my tire, it doesn't leak a bit"! I guess getting all the mileage possible out of a tire was worth the gamble on his and his passengers life.

Also the tire inner liner has been compromised by the puncture and makes the tire prone to tread separation.

Like those big chunks of tread we have to react to fast laying on the highway.:grose

Al

:USA
:CONNECTICUT

I tend to agree with most, I carry plug and inflate kit. I use it ONLY to get me home or to a servicer to put on a new tire on when convenient. In the past since I used Metzler, most dealers do not stock the tire or size I needed, so I would ride with the repaired tire until it was in stock and carry in the tire for replacement.

Back