free website stats program tire noise or rear bearing | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

tire noise or rear bearing

I have an 09, just changed the rear out with 15,000 on it. I should had changed it earlier. It was whining this past winter when I rode on turns and I thought it was the wind with the lowers on but it was cupping on the outside of the tire. New tire and all better. I wasn't paying attention to the wear on the tire the center was completely bald. A lesson learned without a mishap thankfully.

Have the same howling on my RG tires because of cupping. I try to ignore it but it is irritating. Front was replaced under the bulletin that was out but the dealer would not do anything with the rear. Have 17K on the rear and will probably get another 3-5K out of it. I personally think that the tire pressure listed in the manual is too low for the touring bikes. I am now running about 2 psi more in front and back on mine. I think that even the Dunlop site says to put more air in them. When replacing the rear I am going to try out the Michelin Commander 2.

pretty sure its the tire. did a super clean job and put it up on a jack. left side of rear tire is high /low which would cause the noise. right side isn't as bad and i don't hear any noise on that side. gonna keep the tire at 42 psi/max pressure. it won't wear smooth but it'll do until change time. thanks all for the help. kevin

Back