free website stats program Tire mileage on 09 Ultra. | Harley Davidson Forums

Tire mileage on 09 Ultra.

nt6977

I know most of you don't have the mileage to tell yet. But I’m very happy to report that the tire mileage on this new bike is awesome. Believe it or not I have 13,451 miles on this bike now, on the stock tires (thanks to a trip from Ohio to California and back). The two compound rubbers really hold up well. And by the way I pulled a trailer for 8744 miles on that trip.

Attachments

• Rob's Around the States Trip 3-20-09 002.jpg
    Rob's Around the States Trip 3-20-09 002.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Lew

I think tire mileage is directly related to the controls on the bars. I have seen a few of your tires having shortened life spans as the smoke poured out of them. :lolrolling

..... I have heard reports of early cupping on the front 407F, so I'm keeping an eye on that.

Nice looking rig!

Yeah I did notice that the front was cupped, but I thought that was just me. But I have heard that it is happening to a lot of the new tires out there. I'm going to try the other new tire (408) something I believe. Hope that helps.

I just replaced the rear on my 07 street glide and asked the indy that changed it what he was seeing for mileage on the dunlops. He said anywhere from 7k to 13k depending on how hard people are on the throttle. My bike had 10k plus on it and the tire was shot. I would imagine riding on long trips would greatly increase your miles of use versus riding in the city doing stop light to stop light.

Yeah I did notice that the front was cupped, but I thought that was just me. But I have heard that it is happening to a lot of the new tires out there. I'm going to try the other new tire (408) something I believe. Hope that helps.

Nope, it's not just you, my front tire is badly cupped, it started showing up at around 7K. I have heard of HD doing a one time replacement of the front tire but HD basically said tough luck to me. The front tire issue is relative to when your bike was built, later 09's sold have the newer 408 tire.

A buddy just had his 09 front tire replaced at 12K and another dealer gave him a discount on the new tire. The bad part was they replaced it with the same 407 tire, not the replacement 408. Guess HD is planning on using up the 407's before hauling out the 408.:(
:USA

Will air psi have anything to do with the cupping,,Should we start a poll on tire pressure
we may be running to much or to little, I know the GW's had tire pressure that work for them, but they also ran Car tires on the back end

A riding buddy of mine has an 09 Ultra that both his front and rear tires were cupping badly. H-D was no help so he called Dunlap and all they suggested was that he run 40 PSI in his rear tire. He finally eplaced them both at 13,000 miles. No discount from H-D or Dunlap. Next time around he is hoping another manufacturer has a replacement available. He checked with a few other tire companies and they had nothing he could use at this time. By the way he had a lot of tread left but the cupping was unsafe. He is a mechanic and averages 30,000 miles per year over the last two years.

Will air psi have anything to do with the cupping,,Should we start a poll on tire pressure
we may be running to much or to little, I know the GW's had tire pressure that work for them, but they also ran Car tires on the back end

The book calls for 36 psi front and 40 psi rear. My front tire cupped but one HD tech said be sure and run 36 front, another said run 40. I maintained the 36 and got the cupping, I went to 40 on the front and it seems to have helped. I have kept 40 PSI on the rear and it's still got a lot of good miles left, with 12,405 miles so far.
:USA

the Goldwing guy's that i run with run 41 psi, in the front I have 38.5 in the font but i'm going to run it up to 41 and see what happens
Keep the PSI coming and we may fine a psi that will work
and get back to the 20k plus mileage

Back