free website stats program Tire life | Harley Davidson Forums

Tire life

nester024

Out of curiosity, how many miles are to be expected from a stock Dunlop rear tire?

The initial tire on my 08 RK, with 9000 miles, is beyond the wear bars, almost no tread left. I figured I'd be getting a bit more since I'm in straight and flat South Florida and don't ride particularly hard.

I have a '08 Street Glide and had both my front and rear(original dunlop's) replaced at my 15,000 mile service. Probably could of gotten a little more but didn't want to chance it. The more knowledgable guys will have more insight on your particular wear.

straight flat roads will wear your tyres center badly. wear will depend on your accelerating/ braking but 9000 miles aint to bad.

I get between 8500/10000 on our rear tires and usually about twice than on the front. I would change it if the wear bars are gone. Does not make sense getting hurt to save a few dollars.:D

I have a '08 Street Glide and had both my front and rear(original dunlop's) replaced at my 15,000 mile service. Probably could of gotten a little more but didn't want to chance it. The more knowledgable guys will have more insight on your particular wear.

Not calling you a liar but... (Edit) that's a lot of miles on a rear tire. Have never heard of that many. I usually get one rear to about three fronts. The most I think I've had was about 9000 miles out of a rear. What am I doing wrong?

[notes]
A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community
[/notes]

Pictures by nt6977 - Photobucket

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for not calling me on this one. We are new to this site and take it seriously. The info we have been receiving is honest and straight forward.

We live in Southern Cal and ride almost daily. I now have 21,000+ on my '08 SG (which is 6000+) on my 2nd set of Dunlop's. They still look strong. My wife has a '06 1200 custom Sportster with 29,000+ miles. She is on her 3rd set and they still look good. Maybe the rest of the nation is right and we're a little different here. :)

Not calling you a liar but... (Edit) that's a lot of miles on a rear tire. Have never heard of that many. I usually get one rear to about three fronts. The most I think I've had was about 9000 miles out of a rear. What am I doing wrong?

Pictures by nt6977 - Photobucket

Just looked up my work order on my WG. I got 16,577 out of the rear tire. I'm sure it could have gone further but I'm conservative on changing tires if they are getting old or look like they need to go. My fronts don't last as long.

I'm not an agressive rider on the open road. Like to push it on the twisties but don't get to do that much more than once or twice a year. Always pay close attention to my air pressures.

Glad to hear other riders are getting good mileage out of their tires. Maybe just road conditions etc.

Out of curiosity, how many miles are to be expected from a stock Dunlop rear tire?

The initial tire on my 08 RK, with 9000 miles, is beyond the wear bars, almost no tread left. I figured I'd be getting a bit more since I'm in straight and flat South Florida and don't ride particularly hard.

There are lots of factors that determine tire life. The top two are air pressure and riding style. Keeping the right amount of air pressure in the tire for what is being done (full load, light load, two up, etc.) is very important. Checking and adjusting the air pressure when the seasons change is necessary but NOT sufficient.

Beyond those two above are road construction type ridden most frequently, how long and how often is the typical ride, the ambient air temperature, and any showmanship done with the bike. As said above, riding many mile straight ahead and upright produces more wear than rocking and rolling around the curvy bits.

Finally, the LAST I had on the back was Tire : D402 | Size : MT90B16 | PSI Rear/Loaded : 36/40 had this:

Rear tire changed at 70,400 miles (5,570 on old tire). Changed plugs and cleaned air cleaner. Installed Tire : D402 | Size : MU85B16 | PSI Rear/Loaded : 36/40.

I went BACK to the MU85 to see if it gets better life.

I change at or slightly above the wear bars!!

TQ

Back