free website stats program Tire Inflation Pressure | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tire Inflation Pressure

Mine were low and I went with the amount on the tire. Bone jarring! Saw and read this thread and will go with what is listed here (I received no manual with my used bike either.)

At the max pressure I hear the front forks take the hit with a "clank" along with feeling it in the arms, feel all the bumps like crazy in the lower back, and dread any seams in the road as the tires can't help but following them. I knew I had to let some out and was thinking about 35 front, 40 back; but now I know the recommended numbers.

Thanks much folks!

Mine were low and I went with the amount on the tire. Bone jarring! Saw and read this thread and will go with what is listed here (I received no manual with my used bike either.)

The MAX pressures shouldn't be used in the tire and considering the tire pressure increases as you ride from heat, the max pressures would then be about 3-4 lbs over the max. Never run the MAX pressures printed on the sidewall.

The MAX pressures shouldn't be used in the tire and considering the tire pressure increases as you ride from heat, the max pressures would then be about 3-4 lbs over the max. Never run the MAX pressures printed on the sidewall.

But max pressure on every tire I've looked at states Max load *****lbs at **psi COLD I figure them tire gurus are taking into account that the pressure will go up when the tire gets hot.:newsmile040:

I run 36 psi in the front and 40 to 41 psi in the rear. I've got over 46000 miles on the front tire and been gettin a little over 20000 miles on the rear tire, stock Dunlops from HD

Just a quick note on the 05 Heritage frame label about tires. There is/was a recall about the label. It shows incorrect tire sizes can not remember if pressures incorrect. Mine has a wrong label on it.

Others have posted the correct pressures.

But max pressure on every tire I've looked at states Max load *****lbs at **psi COLD I figure them tire gurus are taking into account that the pressure will go up when the tire gets hot.:newsmile040:

Hard way to find out when the tire blows out.:D

I would NEVER run the MAX or even near it in mine.

Given the MOCO's track recoord I'll go with the tire mfg. and we can agree to dis agree. I've hauled alot of heavy stuff,and following the instructions on the tire I've enver had a problem yet. I don't think I'd follow the tire companys recommendation for motor oil though! :newsmile100:

Tire pressures in excess of what should be run will have an effect on wear patterns also. Too much pressure decreases the "footprint" of the tire and can reduce traction not to mention the wear pattern changes with more pressure and wears faster down the middle of the tire.:s

I know that there has been a lot said on this, but we still see people with low tires. A friend of mine stopped by the house a few weeks ago with another couple on a V Star. I haven't met these people before, but they seemed like nice folks. When they were leaving and on their bike, I noticed the rear tire was almost half flat. I mentioned this to him and started my compressor and filled the tire for him. The tread was gone on the sides with only some tread in the middle. He said he never checked his tires because he didn't think he needed to. I probably shouldn't have, but I got on him and asked him what he would do with his wife on the back and he had a blow out? I think I got through to him, so I hope he checks his tires more often. It's amazing to me that people who ride on two wheels don't take better care.

Back