free website stats program Tire Inflation Pressure | Harley Davidson Forums

Tire Inflation Pressure

McQueen1963

Hi.
Three months ago I bought my 2005 Softail Heritage Classic. The previous owner did not have the owner's manual. So I'm saving to buy the service manual. Here in Mexico, is very expensive and the dealer delivers it in two months so I buy it in somewhere online store in the USA. meanwhile, I got a service manual on DVD ($15.00 bucks). The manual is good, but I have a doubt about TIRE INFLATION PRESSURE. . In the DVD there are two sets of data. Which one is correct?
PSI
Front wheels
Rider only 30
Rider and passenger 30
Rear wheels
Rider only 36
Rider and passenger 40

Front wheel
Solo 36
Rider and passenger 36
Rear wheel
Solo 36
Rider and passenger 40

The front tire of my Softail is a Dunlop D402F , the rear one is a Dunlop D401
Thanks in advance

It will say on your tires what PSI to put in them. Follow that and be sure tire is cold when checking. You will be fine. It is the tire that makes the recommendation not the bike.

Sidewalls on tires are the MAX pressure, not the recommended pressures.

This one is correct.

Front wheel
Solo 36
Rider and passenger 36
Rear wheel
Solo 36
Rider and passenger 40

Glider, is it better to always run under the max rating? I have always been using the listed PSI in the past.

If you inflate to the max on the side wall, when it heats up you can add 3-5 LBS of pressure to that. Add that up and see where it falls into line with the recommended pressures in the manual for the bike which is what I use.

Howdy, I can't let this subject pass without sharing this. I just bought and in stalled Avon Venom X am42 77v on the rear, and avon Venom x am41 74H on the front. I also just loaded up my ride ( 06 heritage) for a 2700 mile road trip. the bike is a little un stable with a extra load. so I called Avon, they told me to increase the tire psi front to 42 psi, and to increase the rear to 48 psi. the tires came with a spec sheet for tire psi for heavy load that said to set the front to 42-43 psi, and the rear to 48-50 psi here is the kicker. The side wall of the front tire states" max psi cold 40, and the rear states max psi cold 42" so who is right the tire tech people or what it says on the tire?????
I set the psi to what the tire tech said and the bike handles great.

McQueen, your second set of numbers is correct...

Front wheel
Solo 36
Rider and passenger 36
Rear wheel
Solo 36
Rider and passenger 40

The front tire of my Softail is a Dunlop D402F , the rear one is a Dunlop D401

Check your front frame decal, it lists the stock tires & wheel recommended tire pressures...should say the same.

Last edited:
NEWHD74FAN, what about avon's mixed up psi specs??

J&P cycles where I bought the tires gave me the correct answer. Go with what is says on the tires, Max weight, Max psi cold. The avon tech person must of thought I was talking about the reinforced tire, and I have the venom-x non reinforced tire. venoms do not handle well loaded up for a road trip. oh well, it is what it is, next time it's a Mez or dunlop. I just want to share this so nobody else puts the worng tire on thier bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always run max inflation regardless of what bike or tire. I feel I get the best performance this way and maximum life. Some manufactures recommend this as well.

Back