free website stats program Tire damage | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tire damage

I bought and ran one set of Metzlers on my previous HD. I loved the way they rode and handled, but have since read so many problems that I will never buy another set. One thing I dont want to worry about are my tires. I like to feel that if I maintain them I have a good chance of safe riding, but I do not want the idea in the back of my mind each ride they may be defective. I have enough to worry about. I dont trust metzler tires. JMO.

I wouldn't totally bash a brand because of one users bad experience. That damage could have been road damage made worse by the heat. A small cut rode on for many miles at extreme temps will rip your rubber apart. Pretty impressive you were able to ride on it in that condition (not that I would have!).

I have had a Metzeler ME880 Marathon on my front for over 2 years (10,000 miles) and love it. It looks like it still has half it's tread left. In the same time my Dunlop on the rear has squared off and is very bald in the middle. I know front to rear will account for this difference. The key here is proper tire inflation according to the markings on the tire and proper maintenance and inspection of your rubber. Both Dunlop and Metzeler make some of the best tires in motorcycling.

I have a product of Brasilia front Metzeler 880 Marathon 120/70-21(42 psi cold). Date of mfg is Dec 2009.
I have a product of Germany rear Metzeler 880 Marathon 170/60R17 (50 psi cold). Date of mfg is Oct 2009.
I bought 'em both from J&P.

I wouldn't totally bash a brand because of one users bad experience.

"One bad users experience"? There was a nation wide "bad experience", not just one. As I said, I had a set and loved them, my point is they have a history of recent problems and I personally don't trust them. I wouldn't assume they are safe just on other users opinions either. Better safe than sorry when it comes to tires. I know any tire can fail, but until Metzler gets its quality act together and has proven it, no thanks. There are many other choices for a quality tires so why chance it....... As stated in my post, JMO.

"One bad users experience"? There was a nation wide "bad experience", not just one. ............There are many other choices for a quality tires so why chance it....... As stated in my post, JMO.

Sorry I guess I missed the pandemic alert issued by the World Health Organization.:newsmile105:

I didn't mean to presume this is the first Metzeler to fail due to unknown conditions. And I'm sure Dunlops last forever.

JMO

Sorry I guess I missed the pandemic alert issued by the World Health Organization.:newsmile105:

I didn't mean to presume this is the first Metzeler to fail due to unknown conditions. And I'm sure Dunlops last forever.
JMO

" And I'm sure Dunlops last forever." would be considered flaming another member and we do not allow that here. Let's cool it a bit!

Cool. No problems with Walleye and I get where you're coming from Glider.

Didn't think I was flaming. But it was a little antagonistic.
Sorry.

The key is you can have a bad and good experience with either brand...case in point, Metzelers...ran them on my sport bike and they were fine, ran the same brand and type on my Harley they ran fine only got half the mileage as I got better mileage (almost twice as much) on my Katana at 130 lbs less weight. Then I changed to Dunlog D205's on my Katana (radials) and whoppee almost as good mileage 12,000 and GREAT traction and running in the canyons...I could actually SLIDE the bike and keep it upright on the street.

Now on my Sportster, I am on Dunlops HD Standard units and they run just as steady and superb (for a bias ply tire) as on my older Yamahas in days long gone by...no complaints, just wish I could upgrade to Dunlop D205's radials...for the additional confidence when cornering, but with HD cruiser/touring tire profiles probably would not work very well...BOTH brands are certainly VERY GOOD and no need to nay say either.

Back