free website stats program Tire changers | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tire changers

those brake drums are not mounted to a jack. they are turned around backwards and bolted to the truck. then let the jack down to break the bead. good way to ruin an expensive wheel or tire.

those brake drums are not mounted to a jack. they are turned around backwards and bolted to the truck. then let the jack down to break the bead. good way to ruin an expensive wheel or tire.

Ah yes I did not notice that. Thanks for the clarification. I was looking for one I'd seen last year but could not find it. Where a guy takes a 6ft 2x4 and wedges it under the frame of his car. Then attached to the said 2x4 (about 15 inches from the car) is a 2x4 down strut of which is attached to a flat 2x4 block which he pushes against the tire bead levereaging his weight from the other end of the 6ft 2x4. I remember it breaking the bead quite nicely. He braced the bottom of the wheel underneath with wood also.

I have the Harbor Freight unit, the brake disks make things a bit difficult but doable. In my experience, the bead breaker is the best part, after that, tire levers can do the job. Also have the Harbor Freight balancer, seems to do a fine job, at least for up to 90 mph.

I'll rephrase my question, does anyone have a Wico or Cycle Hill tire changer,
if so does it work ?
Both these are made in the USA, the Wico is $399 + shipping, the Cycle Hill is $465 + shipping.

I have the Hill Cycle tire changer and it works. I have wasted my time with the H/F changer and it was not very satisfactory for me. The C/H with the no mar contacts is great and quick. Not really impressed with the bead breaker though.
Ken

At those prices, the pay back even at $50 labor for each tire will be a long time, unless you are doing tires for a club or something.

Back