free website stats program tire balance | Harley Davidson Forums

tire balance

kemo

R.I.P
Has anyone tired to balance their tire and tube combination with Dyna Beads. They are a ceramic bead that you install through the valve stem. What were the results.

I know that slime is a no no so I was thinking of these. they are also reusable if you want to capture them.

They seem like an interesting alternative to a mechanical balance.

Ken

IMO, I would go with the conventional weight system over the beads. Maybe I'm just opposed to change but I can't see how a bunch of loose beads inside a tire would find the proper place to balance them and at what speed do they take their place at the proper point in the tire?

I wouldn't even try them myself. JMO

I've used them on my Honda Sabre and they worked great. (5000miles) Diffently less tire wear. I ride 2 up and most of those miles were on holiday with my wife and all the camping gear. I could let go of the bars at 85 mph straight and true no wobble just streight line. I started with new Metzelers front and rear, had my tires balenced be for it never road that good pulled off the weights and put in the beads. The rear tire still has over 65% and the front has 80%. I've never had tire last that long and with 2 up and all that gear! Geeting my first HD FLHRC next week and after brake in I'll put in new beads. Go to http://www.innovativebalancing.com You can order them from them nice people too. I first read about them in a news letter from BMW I thought if it was good enough for the BMW rides I would give them a try.

I put the beads in my new Metzlers 3000 miles ago against everyones advice and am pleased with the results.

Also to everyone that won't use a product that is not Harley approved I think that you should wake up and smell the roses. I think Harley is ripping alot of us off on their products weather it be tires or oil or brakes or what ever. There are a lot of fine after market products available to us that cost a lot less.

Bluessman I put Metzler ME880 tires front and rear. I used new tubes and rim strips. I did this job in our campground, , no fancy tools. Just a set of tire irons and normal compressed air. The Dyna Beads come in a 2 oz. pack and you get a small bottle with a tapered neck that you attach a clear hose over. Remove your valve core and slip the hose over the valve stem and work the beads in. Thenice thing about the beads is that you can capture them at next tire change and reuse. The cost of beads and bottle is less than $20.

Unfortunally I don't have any numbers for you but I have 3000 miles on the tires in 6 weeks and I don't see any unusual wear. The tires are a dream. I paid $250. for both tires delivered to my r.v. in Fl.

Also another nice thing about the beads is that they don't mess up your tires or rims like Slime

Ken

No you don't hear or feel anything. People have tried small steel shot but they found that they would rust and clump together. You should do a Google search for Dyna Beads. They have been used in race bikes and another benifit is they will not fall off and get lost.

I have spoke wheels so I did think of Slime as a puncture proofing system and I guess it can also be used as a balancer.

It is nice to be open to other options

Ken

We have to keep up the new stuff. A lot of it is better than the old and some times simpler

Has anyone tired to balance their tire and tube combination with Dyna Beads. They are a ceramic bead that you install through the valve stem. What were the results.

I know that slime is a no no so I was thinking of these. they are also reusable if you want to capture them.

They seem like an interesting alternative to a mechanical balance.

Ken

Why is slime a no no? I have used it before in a tire where it had a slow leak but I couldn't find it. The stuff fixed the leak and worked for two years. Just wondering what is wrong with this stuff. I don't use it for balance, I have shop balance tires.

There's a lot of dealers that will not work on tires with sealants in them because of the mess they make when changing a tire. It also has to be cleaned off the rim to remount a new tire.

I prefer the old balance method with the weights.

Back