free website stats program Tips for staying dry | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tips for staying dry

Due to seeing a lot of rain in this part of the world if on longer trips i always wear cordura jacket and trousers i wear a full face helmet and if raining lift the visor slightly to prevent misting and i always wear waterproof boots that are leather and have a waterproof breathable liner in them
stuff that is in the saddlebags is in waterproof bags and any other stuff on the bike is in dry bags one on the rear rack and one on the rear seat
even with all the gear riding in heavy rain is a miserable experience if its all day you will need at least double the normal distance for braking and you will need to reduce lean angles on the bends
be wary of any metal manhole covers etc as wet cast iron has no grip at all, road markings also have no grip factor in the wet

slow down keep a good distance from the vehicle in front take care if overtaking when there could be oncoming traffic as visibility will be greatly reduced

take care

Brian
You said it all right there Brian. Well said!

I made a trip from South GA to Charlotte NC and back in May. It rained the 3/4 of the trip. What we did for some of the stuff that we knew that we weren't gonna need till we got there, was to pack it in a vacuum seal bag. This was 2 fold, 1) it kept stuff dry and 2) with it sucked down, it was smaller.

100% on the vacuum seal food bags for your clothes, water tight and takes a lot less room.

Due to seeing a lot of rain in this part of the world if on longer trips i always wear cordura jacket and trousers i wear a full face helmet and if raining lift the visor slightly to prevent misting and i always wear waterproof boots that are leather and have a waterproof breathable liner in them
stuff that is in the saddlebags is in waterproof bags and any other stuff on the bike is in dry bags one on the rear rack and one on the rear seat
even with all the gear riding in heavy rain is a miserable experience if its all day you will need at least double the normal distance for braking and you will need to reduce lean angles on the bends
be wary of any metal manhole covers etc as wet cast iron has no grip at all, road markings also have no grip factor in the wet

slow down keep a good distance from the vehicle in front take care if overtaking when there could be oncoming traffic as visibility will be greatly reduced

take care

Brian

Knightster637, pay attention to Fin_676' post...being in Scotland where it rains "--sometimes with out end" means not sitting in a puddle of water, so I make sure whatever rain pants I wear, that the inner seams are sealed...dont' ask me how I know...that blue comin' out the eyes are not tears, but overflow after a long rain...when you have had it up to there!:bigsmiley15:

Knightster637, pay attention to Fin_676' post...being in Scotland where it rains "--sometimes with out end" means not sitting in a puddle of water, so I make sure whatever rain pants I wear, that the inner seams are sealed...dont' ask me how I know...that blue comin' out the eyes are not tears, but overflow after a long rain...when you have had it up to there!:bigsmiley15:

+2 on this info and the post by Fin67.
If you have/use a rain suit, it is a good idea to coat it with waterproof spray after a significant use of the suit. Especially at the seams. When you straddle the bike you tend strain the crotch seams in pants and that opens holes for the water.

Water carries a good bit of grit and grime from the road and it really works its way in, so a good gleaning afterword is a must.

I also keep a several microfiber cloths in a dry, easy to reach spot. Mind the seal around your neck as water will work it's way in there, especially from side spray from a passing truck.

Watch for tire ruts that collect water and make sure you tread is good on the tires. Make sure you know how to quickly put on your hazard lights, with out looking.

Learn to relax. The first time I rode in the rain I was very tense. This will fatigue you quickly.

Depending on your gear, the first time some things get wet, they will release dye. You may end up with stained skin and clothes.

Know how to take apart your helmet to dry the padding or it will smell bad quickly and get uncomfortable.

Back