free website stats program Tips for removing swirl marks on the windshield | Harley Davidson Forums

Tips for removing swirl marks on the windshield

adalt2

I have an '06 RK Classic and the windshield is starting to look pretty rough. Between all the windstorms here in the southwest, the bike cover and miles, I am starting to see swirls and minor scratches all over it. Can anyone offer tips for limiting or minimizing the scratches?

They make a polish for plexglass called MicroMesh, check Aircraft Spruce & Speicalty's web site, it is made for removing marks in plexi. Works great.

I had to deal with types and classes of plexiglass in my last job so here goes. If you have the stock Harley shield then you have a GE Lexan plexiglass shield. GE developed and patented a process of putting a thin film on plexiglass to lengthen its service life and strengthen it. In our case both sides of the Harley shield is coated. Now then, what ever you do always wash off the shield with water first. There is always dust and grit on the front of the shield. Washing it with water removes most grit. Have dried bug splatter on the shield. Then get Harley's Bug spray. It will soak dried bugs and allow you to wash them off. When clean I use Windex and then Harley polish. Here in Florida a couple of times a year we have the Love Bug problem. Some stupid college imported these black bugs for mosquitos but it didn't work. So they flock to the highways and you get covered with them. Fossil

Try a little toothpaste in a small area and see how that will work. Won't cost anything and you might be surprised

I have been using Meguiar's Mirror Glaze plastic cleaner and polish for Years. The stuff is like magic! It will take an old foggy weathered windshield and make it shiny clear and new again........Well almost, but it works good, it's not too expensive and you can find it in most auto stores, like Schuck's.

Meguiar's Direct Mirror Glaze Clear Plastic Cleaner

Meguiar's Direct Mirror Glaze Clear Plastic Detailer

Meguiar's Direct Clear Plastic Polish

Meguiar's Direct Swirl Remover -

The third link is the one I used on a windshield that was in really bad shape and it works awesome, the first too work very well to clean and keep clean newer windshield. I have never used the last one but I bet it will work as well as the other products.

Back