free website stats program Tips for biker puppies | Harley Davidson Forums

Tips for biker puppies

Merlynn

Just brought home a new beagle puppy. I've seen dogs at rallies whose owners carry them on the bike. Well this little girl is going to be a biker dog too. Any tips on how to carry a dog safely on a bike (ultra) and /or getting her used to bikes?
WAP.gif

Congrats on the new addition to the family. I would think a good way to start would be to hold the pup while sitting on the bike as it's idling. Maybe get some towels on the tank and set her on the tank as it's idling. Just to get her use to the sound and feel.

I would suggest starting with her on the bike while NOT running and get her used to that idea. Then gradually over time try and get her used to be next to it or around it running, then on it etc.

I've seen dogs riding in boxes on the back. The hinge pins on the tour pack are easily removable. You could tether her in there. Start slowly of course.
Wherever you decide, get a bandanna for her ears so she doesn't take flight. :D

Biker dogs!! Been doing it for a few years now and rarely do I ride without my hairy little co-pilot. I hope my pictures attach, but basically I started with just a cardboard box held to the bike with bungee cords. The dog wore a harness that was attached through the box to the seat.

Both dogs I have "trained" tried to bail out of the box when first put into it a couple of times. After that, never. We now have Doggles for them to wear. I highly recommend them. The dogs eye can be put out as easy as ours if a rock hits it at speed.

I have now built a nice box out of Cherry wood. The wife lined it with padding and fleece blankets. Moxie, my wife's dog, has done over 7K on the Ultra last year and we are going to see my son in Alabama this summer with him.

You are going to really love the response you get with your pooch on the back. Motorist get a real kick out of it and kids are just blown away. Brings lots of smiles to others on the road. Just take it slow the first few times out. Teach the dog he/she must remain sitting in the box at all times.

Good luck, your gonna love it! If you have any other questions, feel free to contact me.
joe

Attachments

• 071911124838.jpg
    071911124838.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 102
  • 093011123859.jpg
    093011123859.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 92
  • 100_0784.jpg
    100_0784.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 96
  • Image.jpg
    Image.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 95
I guess if these little dogs can ride 2-up w/o flying off the back, my wife shouldn't be so worried about it.

Thanks for the input! Got her in the garage now while I install new highway pegs. Then plan to start it so she'll get used to the sound. (Stage one so it's a bit louder than the vacuum cleaner.) Biggest problem I see is I only have one passenger seat and the wife is firm she's not giving up her seat for any dog, two legs or four. How much do sidecars cost?
WAP.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the input! Got her in the garage now while I install new highway pegs. Then plan to start it so she'll get used to the sound. (Stage one so it's a bit louder than the vacuum cleaner.) Biggest problem I see is I only have one passenger seat and the wife is firm she's not giving up her seat for any dog, two legs or four. How much do sidecars cost?
WAP.gif
Has she ever considered a bike of her own? My wife road with me for over 25 years, finally got her license when a girlfriend of hers got it. Now she loves to ride her bike. Good luck with whatever you do.:yes

Back