free website stats program timing module repair | Harley Davidson Forums

timing module repair

Hi guys,
I know this will be a wierd question but,
do any of you know how to get rid of the plastic fill on the timing/ignition module on harleys? I have a bad solder inside the module, when I apply pressure with my thumb on the plastic protection on the module, engine stops! I was trouble shooting my problem of ignition cutting, checked switches, wirings, connectors, coil, plugs and everything, and finally I found out that the igniton/timing module is causing the mess. I have experience with electronic circuit boards how to repair but I dont know how to get to the ECB, silicon or plastic is injected over it and I am lost how to clean this protection layer without harming the electronics. any ideas?

correction, ecm->ecb

Buy a new one. Unfortunately, those modular electronic units are not designed to be both functional and repairable. They are encapsolated in I believe an injection molding process to be weatherproof and shock resistant.
Should you even be able to cut it apart, you would not be able to regain those properties.

35 years of repairing electronics (I am a dinasaur, I still repair circut boards), Glider is 110% correct, don't waste your time, just bite the bullet and spend the $$$$.

Thanks for replies guys.
happy to annaunce that I fixed my timing module. I scraped off the plastic injection piece by piece by a small screw driver and a sharp knife, took my hour and some sweat but I managed to get the circuit board to daylight. after that, I tested if the module is still functioning as before, and surprise, I was succesfull not harming the electronics. I started the engine and applied pressure on the board with a plastic stick while the engine was running. Funnily, engine didnt stop as before. this was nonsense to me, so I gave a try to squeeze the only electrolytic capasitor on the board with my fingers, and yes, engine stopped. I replaced the capasitor with a new one and tested again. seemed like I fixed it! : )
I filled the housing with red silicon, which is used for sealing at hot places, let it dry, install the module on the bike and did the static timing adjustment finally.
Did more than 100km forcing the engine to high revs, didnt see no sign of ignition problem.
conclusion;
I didnt have much to lose, gave a try and saved €620(minus 50cents for the capasitor and some time)
But as you guys pointed, it was matter of milimeters to harm the board, I was lucky this time. I would honestly warn others not to try this at home!

Glad it worked out for you. I wouldn't have the nerve to try that for fear that it would leave me stranded someplace in the future.

I am with Glider, since all electronics are female any way........by the way I didn't realize you were English? Must explain the persistance to do the "impossible", just ask the Germans.........the only people more persistant than you guys are the Irish........

I get your words as compliments and thank you for that, you are most kind. :)
I am not English nor Irish. I am a Turk, and my persistancy comes from my personality, education of electric&electronics engineering, experience and interest in DIY stuff.
My job is to install, commission and fix 4 stroke natural gas Wartsila engines control system, aka WECS.(there are some same brand power plants in US as well and all over the world) We have very similar(functionwise) ecus, speed pick-ups, top dead center sensors, ignition modules, coils, plugs and etc. for 18000kW power engine. but never mind, piston based internal combustion engines are all same apart from their appearance and size, some mechanical design details and power output. It would be shame on me if I didnt give a try but just buy a new timing module and install it.
+there is no reason for me to be afraid of electronics. I really feel no fear about riding my bike with the timing module that I fixed. at least, not more than riding with original timing module. It was an original timing module which gave me really hard time while driving from Istanbul to Cyprus(+1000km riding). btw, this was my longest trip ever with my ride, and I am looking forward to get to the day that I will finish the power plant commissioning here and ride back to Istanbul :) )

Back