free website stats program timing hole on left side of crank | Harley Davidson Forums

timing hole on left side of crank

peregrine

are there differnt size windows for the fl and fx/
can i duct tape the smaller window to fit the flh hole and make it work?

My plastic plug fits both my shovel and evo. The trick to seeing anything is to get the plug just far enough away from the flywheel to scrape the majority of the oil film off. If you get too close, you grind the end of the window and it turns white so you can't see until you carefully polish it clear again. I doubt the duct tape would work.

thx
i have a 77 FLH. the timing hole is larger than the 77FX i had. i have a timing window for the FX and it is smaller thean the FLH hole. do i need to buy a larger window or is it rethreaded and need to improvise?
thx

As Breeze3at stated, they should be the same size.Yours may have been stripped then re-threaded. I find it much easier & cleaner to do timing with this method. Drain primary fluid.Open the inspection cover for the primary chain. Rotate the engine to get the timing mark in the window, then clean off the the Rotor & inner primary with carb. cleaner real good at the 3 o,clock position.Take a colored Sharpie pen & make a line from the rotor to the Inner primary.Put you plug back in the the timing hole. You can the use those lines to do your timing with a light. No oil blowing out the the timing hole to get all over you or your timing light.Ck. your primary chain tension,refill with fluid, good to go. I usually have a friend help so I don't have to go from 1 side to the other as I move the timing plate.

so i mark the wall of the inner primary at 3 oclock with the marker?
at what rpm do i do look with the light? the manual says 2000.
thx

Yes,put the mark at 3 o'clock. I will look at the mark at idle to see where it is. After knowing that I will,or have buddy increase the rpm to 2k. or slightly above 2k. That kicks in the automatic advance,mechanical or VOES. That's where you adj. the points/cam sensor plate for the 3 o'clock alignment. When you go back to idle you will see the 2 marks misalign again,that's normal because the automatic advance goes back to retard.
tourbox

Back