free website stats program Timing cover removal | Harley Davidson Forums

Timing cover removal

Breeze3at

Experienced Member
Well, I thought all evo's were at 9 and 3, but I just looked in the HD accessory catalog, and timer covers are listed for either "vertical" or "horizontal" holes, and not by years. It's not much trouble to use a 3/8" drill bit to carefully drill off the rivet heads and see if your cover also has horizontal holes. You can reattach the stock (or new) cover with 8-32 self tapping screws.

Once you remove your old cover you will see 2 stand off screws/mounts at 3 & 9 o,clock
They hold your Cam Sensor plate in place.Don't loosen them. They have a threaded hole in the center for mounting the new cover. Shovels were the same way. Don't screw the new screws in the 12 & 6 position. A friend did that and about 4-6 months later they finally wor a hole in his Cam Sensor

I bought a dress up cover for mine. I dont have a problem replacing the rivets. does anyone know what size they are?

Get them from the dealer. They are supposed to be the type that will not drop the head of the rivet into the timer cavity when you compress them.

Back