free website stats program Timing Advance | Harley Davidson Forums

Timing Advance

marknett

First a little background, 1996 sportster 1200 c ,screamin eagle ignition and coil , super e S&S carb, Vance & Hines pipes.

question is about timing . without a timing light , is there a way to be sure the timing advance is correct?

It really depends on how you look at it. The factory specification is actually only a "close" specification at best. It's a "one size" fits all setting. How can ALL the same engines actually require the SAME amount spark advance. That's impossible. Different grades of gasoline and elevations require a different amount of spark advance.

So if your adjusting to a "close enough" spec to start with,,, what difference will a degree or two really make?

Also remember that the manual was probably written in a time (1996) when pump gasoline was more knock resistant so the advance spec needs to be revised for today's garbage which they call fuel.

But I would use a timing light anyway...:D:D

You really need a timing light to do it properly.

You can static time it so you can get it running and then ride it advancing the timing and back off on the timing if you hear pinging or detonation. It can be done if you know what to listen for. If you error it can be costly, more than the cost of a timing light.

Think of how wide the timing hole is then figure out how much advance you will need even with a timing light one size does not fit all as Hoople said in his post. After static timing I prefer to do a couple of test runs and adjust from there by seat of my pants riding It works pretty good JMO

Back