free website stats program Timer Cover Screws | Harley Davidson Forums

Timer Cover Screws

ngjandm

I did a search on the forum, didn't find too much on the problem I ran into. about to replace the timer cover and derby with the finned parts. upon replacing the timer cover, the bottom left screw was not long enough to reach the thread due to the thicker cover. Strange how that is the only one. Looked through my service manual and did not find the type of screws used so maybe I could find a longer one.

Not sure if anyone else has run into this problem.

Being fairly n00b working on my own bike, having done a couple stage 1's and replacing misc parts, what is the timer cover actually doing? looking inside, it was just a hollowed out space with what did not look like access to anything. :small3d012:

It's just a cover to cover up the hollow space that use to house the ignition system components. Just get a longer screw.

I put the finned cover on my 06, and all the screws worked fine. Maybe someone put a shorter screw in at some point.

I put the finned cover on my 06, and all the screws worked fine. Maybe someone put a shorter screw in at some point.

It's probably an 8/32 stainless steal screw 3/8 - 1/2" long. Take it to your local homer depot and size it up. On a newer bike it might be metric.

Be careful with stainless bolts in aluminum. The two metals do not play nice together and can cause problems.

Bodeen

Be careful with stainless bolts in aluminum. The two metals do not play nice together and can cause problems.

Bodeen

Oh how true you are. I just changed the oil in my bike and when I took one of the screws out that holds the derby cover on the threads decided to come out with the screw. I ended up having to put a helicoil in.

A wee bit of anti seize or copper grease on the threads of the set screw should put a suitable barrier between the two metals and prevent them corroding together

Brian

thanks everyone. I've been too lazy to go get new screws, so have been riding around with only 4, since its a do-nothing compartment.

Back