free website stats program Time to pay the tax | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Time to pay the tax

Which way would you go, or advise someone else to?

• Power Commander & Dyno

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • V&H Fuel Pack save the Dyno

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • HD Down load call it good enough

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Leave it stock

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
+1 on the TFi. Have one on my Super Glide and wouldn't trade it for anything else.

Not an option on poll, so I couldn't participate. :bigsmiley29:

I too could not vote because S/E super tuner was not listed. I think the TFI would probably do you just fine but I personally would never run one because I don't like to piggyback anything on my system. The super tuner is pricey but so was my scoot, you do not need a dyno to use it, you don't have to change any wires, just download the stage 1 race cal. into your bike and your good to go. I have used the sest on stock local police bikes when they were having problems running on their trainning courses, they were driving them like dirt bikes, wicking the throttle at low rpm's, the tuner allowed me to down load the race stage 1 map and make a few adjustments to their fuel map it also raised their rev limit which they loved. I have warranty a lot of power commanders over the years, I have taken off DFO's and a few other aftermarket tuners but have never had to warranty a s/e tuner. It just makes your ECM tunable. All said you will probably be happy with the TFI a lot of people are, but if you have the bucks and might upgrade the bike more down the road install the best.

I am with most of the others for the simple reason that I do not believe in stressing the newly minted engine with full throttle Dyno runs, to get that little extra "boost" verses an easy and sure plug and play fueler like TFI...!

JMO as an outsider who has a carbureted HD, coming from the perspective of..."If I were to buy a freshly minted machine" I would ask "What can I do to enhance the riding experience that made me fall in love with it in the 1st place", not affect the long term reliability or potentially shorten it's life span to ride it long and often. Easy decision after that thought...!

Last edited:
After reading on here and over at a different forum, I specifically asked a couple service guys about the engine running lean from the factory. They told me it wasn't true.. Now I am not doubting ANY of you on here... but why would they tell me something that isn't true? Obviously you all would tell more truths than a dealership but why would they lie? I already bought the bike.. Do you think Harley Davidson techs might be under educated??

I don't think amyone is tryng to be dishonest with you on either side of topic, stock Harleys are not burnning up right and left, however HD has to keep them on the lead side to get them out the door past EPA, they have to burn clean, the cleanest burn happens at 14.7. When I custom build a fuel map I shoot for 14.6 at low throttle positions to maintain stock like fuel mileage , mid to high 13's at mid rpms and 13.1 at WOT, the extra fuel helps cool the engine and boost power, some bikes like it a little richer and some a little leaner, the numbers tell the truth. Are HD tech's under educated, not all of them but maybe we all are to a point, I'm learnning every day.

TFi is a great little unit IMO. Very easy to adjust to your liking. As others have said - putting that in your poll would give you a higher response rate and a clearer picture of what we all have done with out bikes.

TN, new bikes by design are running "lean best"...and certainly HD has had plenty of time, R&D and experience honing their craft...! As most of the others have commented, HD motors are NOT burning right and left...just that some riders like to modify and personalize them for more "crisp" throttle response, sound, looks, and comfort, your ride...you decide. This forum reflects the experiences and preferences of a large spectrum of riders and enthusiasts who want others to enjoy their rides as much as they do, plain and simple. How the trends are and direction most take is a statistical issue, not a claim of right or wrong regarding what is the best RX for your needs.

Last edited:
On my 03RK I did the basic stuff, Stage1, trye dual headers, Samson Fishtails (Friggin awesome sound), PCIII, and cams. Had it Dyno at my local HD shop more times than I care to think about. Mostly because it took me three tries to figure out what pipes I liked. Anyway, got to know the DYNO tech REAL good.

On my 09RG, I have done pretty much the same set up but I am using the PCV (5). After all the above work and tuning on the 03, I have not paid a dime for work on the 09.

So back to the opinion.... I like the Power Commander for ease of tuning because I seem to grow bored in the winters and continue to modify the bikes. With free tuning, I will stay with the PC.

Back