free website stats program Time to Change | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Time to Change

I have been reading here and have a question. I purchased and 2005 Electra Glide from my local Harley Davidson Dealer here. I don't know who the owner was before me, but the bike is in stock condition and in good shape. It is coming up on a fluid change. The bike had 21k on it when I purchased it. I did call the shop and they said it had been serviced at 19k. Well I would assume that the HD service department used the Syn3. But I don't know what was used before. I am guessing that if I wanted to use Mobile 1 V-Twin (MX4T) or Amsoil that I would be ok? Or should I just stick with the Syn3. I have heard good and not so good about the Syn3.

It is all just to confussing:wall

I also guess that it would be ok to use the HD Oil filter with these oils? Yes/No/Maybe?

I have been reading here and have a question. I purchased and 2005 Electra Glide from my local Harley Davidson Dealer here. I don't know who the owner was before me, but the bike is in stock condition and in good shape. It is coming up on a fluid change. The bike had 21k on it when I purchased it. I did call the shop and they said it had been serviced at 19k. Well I would assume that the HD service department used the Syn3. But I don't know what was used before. I am guessing that if I wanted to use Mobile 1 V-Twin (MX4T) or Amsoil that I would be ok? Or should I just stick with the Syn3. I have heard good and not so good about the Syn3.

It is all just to confussing:wall

I also guess that it would be ok to use the HD Oil filter with these oils? Yes/No/Maybe?

Yes on the HD filter and the syn 3 isn't the best of oils. You can change it at any time to a quality synthetic oil with no problems at all, They mix OK with any syn 3 that is left in there. The important thing is to use a quality trans oil in the trans and get the syn 3 out of there.

Thanks ya'll. This forum is like my Owners/Maint/Service manual online. This forum is way more helpful that a previous forum I use to visit, and it was not a HD forum. It was a Metric forum.

Thanks

Thankyou for that ELECTRAGLIDEING,Dont have a clue what all the numbers were about,but good of you to post them in your answer.

Thankyou for that ELECTRAGLIDEING,Dont have a clue what all the numbers were about,but good of you to post them in your answer.

It's a comparison of the Mobil 1 15/50 and Mobil 1 V Twin 20/50 that shows parts per million of the different make up of the oils.

Thanks Glider,now its clear,I forgot to ask which oils would be the best for the trans etc,??

In the trans, a gear oil would be best like Spectro, redline shockproof heavy , Mobil 1 gear oil or any other brand name gear oil.

I love this forum,who needs a workshop manual???Big thankyou to all who've helped me out so far.:bigsmiley8:

Back