free website stats program Time for a new compensator & maybe chain tensioner | Harley Davidson Forums

Time for a new compensator & maybe chain tensioner

oldhippie

I've had the bag of bolts sound in my primary when letting out the clutch that I originally thought was my chain slapping. Took my primary apart found the chain had around 1/2" play when cold so took a look at the spring pack in my compensator. Found grooves worn into the spring pack cup on the rotor. My '09 has the cup welded to the rotor face with the springs mounted inside.
Because of availability, I'm looking to get the HD Screaming Eagle compensator but trying to decide if I change the stock chain tensioner to a manual one. From the few reviews I've read, the manual SE chain tension adjuster is louder than the stock auto adjuster.
Anyone else have the Screaming Eagle Manual Chain Tensioner and your thoughts?

I replaced the compensator on my '07 Ultra but retained the stock tensioner.
Too much work with the SE manual tensioner for me.

Looked at but haven't found any at a realistic price. With exchange, duties and shipping I'd be looking at close to $800 for just the compensator and close to $300 for the tensioner (really bites that our exchange rate isn't at par with the US$). The closest Canadian supplier hasn't answered my email inquiry.
It's getting on 2 weeks since I took the primary apart and I'm starting to feel withdrawal symptoms. :confused:

Why not get the Screaming Eagle compensator from local Harley dealer and try not to over think the tensioner. If chain and tensioner shoes look ok then leave it alone.....

Why not get the Screaming Eagle compensator from local Harley dealer and try not to over think the tensioner. If chain and tensioner shoes look ok then leave it alone.....

Not too crazy about gluing in the oil diverter in the Primary cover, that's the way I'm leaning but have to wait 'til next weekend now to pick one up. On standby and have to be close to work. That and my "local" dealer is an hour away but my preferred dealer is 2 1/2 hrs away. Also deciding while I have to take the chaincase off anyway if I change my drive belt since it's 7 yrs old and almost 65000 kms (~35000 miles). It has a few nicks in the cogs.

IF not edge chips/cuts, They will last a long time. I have a few nicks but no holes/tears.... 124,372 miles on my 09 King 103"
Original belt...

IF teeth are not missing or cracked/broken Loose, think on running it.

signed....BUBBIE

As Bubbie has advised and have you look at what needs done to replace belt?????

IF not edge chips/cuts, They will last a long time. I have a few nicks but no holes/tears.... 124,372 miles on my 09 King 103"
Original belt...

IF teeth are not missing or cracked/broken Loose, think on running it.

signed....BUBBIE

As Bubbie has advised and have you look at what needs done to replace belt?????
I'm going to leave the belt. I found it's kevlar so those last a long time. Took a closer look at it and I'm comfortable with its condition. Yes I looked at what it would take to change the belt and why I was thinking of doing it since I have to take the chaincase off to change the rotor. As for the compensator, since the closest HD dealer and another online store I deal with couldn't be bothered to answer my inquiry, I'll take the 2 1/2 hr drive to my preferred HD shop, Gaslight HD in Morden, and pick up the Screaming Eagle compensator this weekend. I may get them to glue the oil diverter in the primary cover so I'm not buying some glue that will most likely just sit in my toolbox for years. Going to continue to use the stock tensioner since it's still in fair condition plus it can wait until the extra cash is available.
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Back