free website stats program Tie down help | Harley Davidson Forums

Tie down help

chuck60

Can someone tell me the best way to tie down a heritage softail classic to a open trailer. Because of a plate and screws in my leg, long distance riding will not happen for awhile for me, so I need to trailer it.

Thanks Charlie

If you have engine guards, soft ties with ratchet tie downs works good, if you do not have a rear guard you can use soft ties with ratchet ties on the rear frame

start with a wheel chock, you can get a good but cheap one at harbour freight. roll the bike into it and strap the handle bars to it,i also run one across the back to keep it from bouncing

It helps to have a chock to butt the front wheel into. Loop some ratchet type tiedown straps around the forks between the triple trees and tie them off to the front corners of the trailer. The back can be tied off to the trailer from the swingarms or even looping the tie down around the rear tire/rim and tieing off angled rearward to the trailer. It's not a really good idea to tie off to the handlebars as it could really screw up the bushings. Also, when you pull the front tight with the ratchet straps, compress the front forks some.

Agree with PA 58 on this one. I use a wheel chock on my trailer from HF, works great and was $29. If you have an engine guard use ratchet straps pulled down and to the front of the trailer, just snug enough to keep the bike from moving side to side, I also use ratchet straps on the swing arm, to secure the rear.

Back