free website stats program Ticking noise when accelerating | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Ticking noise when accelerating

It is real easy to get rid of pinging with a PCIII.
Go to the ignition map and retard (-2) at the rpm and throttle % that it happens at. It will go away if it is pinging. I had real bad pinging and got rid of it ina a matter of seconds this way.

Hi Glider I only use 93 octane and the bike has a PCIII on it . It runs awesome with the setup it has. It may well be pinging but I'm not sure . It is hard to hear. If you aren't listening for it you won't notice it.

My 2000 dyna had the ticking noise and finally was using a little oil.. noticed out the exhaust when I got on it... 17,000 mi...... the noise got louder but not loud enough to give OTHER experts the right answer to me...... NOISE turned out to be a BAD crank at the front rod...... TOOK a long time b-4 it was found .......the shavings finally scored the piston walls enough to drop compression a little...... NOISE was NEVER real loud.....

Bad food for thought......

signed....BUBBIE

(EDITED)man your scaring me! :)

[notes]
A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community
[/notes]

Last edited by a moderator:
I had this discussion with Glider about the tappet screen requiring cleaning on an EVO which could cause the lifter tappping.

Just wondering if the the same might apply.
Quote:
Originally Posted by glider
Your EVO has a tappet screen on the engine that should be cleaned with oil changes. The trans just has the usual magnetic plug.

Lifter Screen (EVO) - Harley Davidson Community

You'll get the idea to clean it when the lifters are tapping away

Back