free website stats program Ticking noise in motor | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Ticking noise in motor

Bubbie, I am doing everything you suggested. I have a custom engine builder that will bore the cylinder to match the piston. I now have the HD 95 inch kit that was installed at 10k miles and I was told that the HD kit has too much piston to cylinder clearance, hence the piston slap. You are really a wealth of information and I learn from and enjoy your posts to all the different people. Keep it up! I will post what I end up with after this rebuild.

Well I had this annoying ticking sound as well. Took it to Harley and they said everything was normal. It still bugged me as I knew it was not there when I bought the bike. I now have 7700 miles on the 2010 FLHTK. I've always done my own services and I run Amsoil synthetic. I read this post with alot of interest. Just came back from a 200 mile day ride, tried the 30mph decel and darn if it didn't work! I'll have to test it some more, but I swear I actually heard the adjusment happening. Thanks for the post guys!

When i bough my 03 classic it had syn oil in it made to much noise .I change to regular HD oil with lucus oil additive in all the holes made it a lot quieter .

My new Road Glide has quite a bit of valve train noise in the 2000-2600 range.It seems to come and go at will with no change in oil pressure also. I am running Amsoil 20-50 and have considered trying Redline 20w-60 during warm weather. I attribute some of it to the fact that the fairing reflects a lot of this back to the rider. The tranny is considerably noisier than my old softail too. I run Redline "Heavy Shockproof" in it and it still sounds terrible. My '06 softail 5-speed was nice and quiet compared to the 6-speed rattle, whine clunk box!

Cheesyrider - Have you tried the Heavy Duty Platinum 6-speed Transmission Oil in your tranny? Supposed to be the best.

Back