free website stats program Ticking from the primary? | Harley Davidson Forums

Ticking from the primary?

RSQCAL

I'm riding a 96 fxds-convertable with about 17,000 miles on it. I'm getting a ticking sound that seems to be getting worse. I've tried to pinpoint where it's coming from and it seems to be the front of the primary, but I'm not sure. I'm having no performance issues as everything seems to be running fine. When the bike is at idle the sound is slight but seems to become more pronounced when in gear and moving. At idle I can rev up the RPM's and it doesn't seem to get much worse, when I'm in gear and moving it does. Any suggestions?

Check for an exhaust leak to begin with then try to isolate where it is coming from if it isn't that.

Second what Glider said. Also make sure your primary chain tensioner is adjusted correctly. When you go to change your fluids next time, if you are not already doing so, try a full synthetic 20W50 motor oil in the engine, a full synthetic gear lube in the tranny, and Formula + or Spectro Primary in the primary chain case. Check out the Self-help pages for discussion on oil for your bike.

TQ

I'm using Amsoil 20W50 in the engine, Amsoil gearlube in the tranny, & Formula +in the primary. I will check for exhaust leaks tonite let you know what I came up with.

Thanks

I chased a problem that drove me crazy about like what you are saying. I have a 95 softtail with 55,000 miles had the primary cover off several times checking chain, transmission pully, clutch, even changed the clutch no help. The only thing I did not do was change my belt. Then I put some belt dressing on the belt and the sound went away. I still can't figure out how it was making a ticking noise.

Well I checked for an exhaust leak & it looks like this was the problem. I could see some faint blow by from exhaust. Torqued the bolts a little tighter, we'll see if that stops it. I'll take it for a ride tonite. Might need some new gaskets.

Thanks for the help!

Well I checked for an exhaust leak & it looks like this was the problem. I could see some faint blow by from exhaust. Torqued the bolts a little tighter, we'll see if that stops it. I'll take it for a ride tonite. Might need some new gaskets.

Thanks for the help!

Before you knock the header pipes completely off, try taking the nuts off and making sure the keeper ring is in the slot in the flange (see #108 and #102 below - proper terms are: retaining ring and exhaust ring clamp). If not, put it back in the slot and resecure the flange. That may be enough without having to take the shields off and taking the whole thing apart.

EXHAUST SYSTEM - DYNA - 1996 Harley Davidson FXDS-CON

TQ

Have you by chance had a cam installed? Some guys either don't know, or are too lazy to mic the gear over pins and insure a good fit with the pinion gear, too loose and you get noise, too tight is much worse though!

Back