free website stats program Thundermax sensor problem | Harley Davidson Forums

Thundermax sensor problem

lv2ride56

I ran the Thundermax and the Bub true dual with crossover system until I got the recall and had the 4th rebuild on my '07. Changed back to stock to keep from having any questions asked for the warranty work.
I have run the stock setup for a few thousand miles and decided to put the TMax back with a set of Fullsac baffled mufflers and the OEM header. (BUB was way loud for me).
Problem: TMax doesn't see the O2 sensors now that I have reinstalled. Complete unit has been sent back to Zippers and tested out OK. They did replace the ECM "just because".
Is there a way to test the sensors off the bike since the module doesn't see them? Hate to pay the price for new ones before testing the old.
Any ideas??
Thanks for any ideas/help you might have.

Does your T-Max use wide band O2 sensors. If so, don't you have to "free air" calibrate them.

So when you put everything back to stock for warranty work you put the narrow band sensors back in also. Then you put the wide band back in when you re-installed the T-Max. Am I right so far.

I never used a T-Max unit but from using wide band sensors in other applications, I do know they usually need to be "free air" and "heater calibrated". Over time they can drift.

But to answer your original question, there is no easy way to test a wide band O2 sensor by itself. If you had a separate heater power supply and an operational input amplifier, you could do it. But with simple hand tools & meter,,, no can do.

It may pay to call T-Max and ask about heater & free air calibration, just to see what they say.

(edit) if I know. I took the whole unit off thinking I would just put the SERT back on with the stock pipes (less Cat converters) and sell the Stock mufflers with Fulsac baffles. Cleaned all connections and the O2 sensors preparing to sell. Then decided to try one more time.
Put it all back on, plugged in the computer and VOILA, everything was looking right.
Like I said,(edit) if I know.
Anyway, I'm happy.:newsmile01::newsmile01:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes bosch wideband sensors , they are heated type sensors ,so before you start your bike , turn your ingnition to on position after 30 sec or so you will feel them warm up , this will tell you they are ok also if you run there smartlink software open up the basic setting go to the falt code click you will see if there is any falts also go to model confiuration open up and make sure you are in closed loop not open loop check closed loop and click write to module. Really I would start over and reload the proper map for your set up and reinitialize the module.Good luck

My apology to everyone. I tried to be civil but still got an infraction for indicating a minor swear word with (EDIT) in it. Wasn't aware that was a no-no. Not an excuse, I was just so happy things finally came together I was trying to share. Again, my apologies to anyone I may have offended.

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
My apology to everyone. I tried to be civil but still got an infraction for indicating a minor swear word with (EDIT) in it. Wasn't aware that was a no-no. Not an excuse, I was just so happy things finally came together I was trying to share. Again, my apologies to anyone I may have offended.

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

And you go and post it again after the infraction was given!!!! ???? :newsmile030:

I ran the Thundermax and the Bub true dual with crossover system until I got the recall and had the 4th rebuild on my '07. Changed back to stock to keep from having any questions asked for the warranty work.
I have run the stock setup for a few thousand miles and decided to put the TMax back with a set of Fullsac baffled mufflers and the OEM header. (BUB was way loud for me).
Problem: TMax doesn't see the O2 sensors now that I have reinstalled. Complete unit has been sent back to Zippers and tested out OK. They did replace the ECM "just because".
Is there a way to test the sensors off the bike since the module doesn't see them? Hate to pay the price for new ones before testing the old.
Any ideas??
Thanks for any ideas/help you might have.

I know you've fixed the problem,and i'm guessing you can still read this,but did you know if you go into the Module Configuration section and click on Diagnostic trouble codes,then you CAN see if the sensors are ok.The engine must be running for this test,but at least you'll know if they're ok.
Check out pages 93 to 07 of the manual.

Back