free website stats program Thundermax ecm Questions | Harley Davidson Forums

Thundermax ecm Questions

SteveM

Hi all,
After, much reading I decided to go with the ThunderMax system but there's just one thing stopping me from ordering it. My bike (2008 FLSTC) has that fob security thingy and I have been told it is matched up to the factory ECM. If I replace the stock ECM with the ThunderMax system, Will I still be able to start the bike? Will the ThunderMax recognise my fob? I just want to make sure before I dump that much $$ into it only to find out I can't start it.

Also, are there any other surprises in store for me if I swap it out?

Thanks in advance!
Steve

I was just exchanging emails with Pete Stewart at TM, that they should address these issues on their website, as well as some claims that the Dyna turn signals no longer auto shut off. I also sent him the link to your post, so we will see what turns up.

Thanks for that! Thats way cool of you. I did read the TM web FAQ's and in there one of them is "Will my security system still work" and there answer is "Yes" . But I know if you need a new fob, the dealer has to tie it to your ECM. And if thats the case and the TM works, Than that tells me any fob will allow starting. I'm just trying to make sure cause it would be a major bummer if any hoodlem with a fob could just ride off on her.

Steve

That's a good point. I got a reply back from Pete this afternoon. I will paste it below for you to read, but in the meantime why don't you email and let him specifically address the lost/replace fob issue. I'm new to this forum and they won't let me post and address but if you google zippers performance dot com then click on FAQ then click Talk to Zippers, you can get the question to him that way. Since he says his ECM replaces the HD ECM with all working facets I would think that HD could tie a new Fob to it like normal. It should not be any different than an HD ECM procedure. If you bike is still under any kind of warranty (which I doubt if you are putting TM in) then that could be an issue, depends on the dealer I hear. Some will work with TM or PC others won't.
Pete's reply here:
All of the features that are currently on the bike (self canceling turn signals, cruise control, security system, 6th gear indicator, etc) will all function as normal.
end Pete's reply.

Quote from H-D manual:
"The turn signal module (TSM) controls the turn signals and serves as the bank angle sensor.
The optional factory installed, (H-DSSS) Harley-Davidson Smart Security System includes (HFSM) Hands Free Security Module which provides the same function as the TSM but also includes security and immobilization functions."

I have had the TMax AT on my bike over 17000 miles, same fob, turn signals cancel, the bank sensor works and the 6th speed light works. I have no issue, I also don't believe second hand diagnostics.

Look some where else, like trace all your steps connecting things.

Al

:USA
:CONNECTICUT

Well that pretty much answers it. I am also looking for a ECM (replace, remap or piggyback). So after you installed the TMax did you bike seem to run cooler (if you had an oil temp gauge). Did it have more power or torque in the low and mid ranges ? I read on another forum that TTS actually manufactured the SERT for HD from 2002 to 2008. It is one option. TMax is just so expensive and you can't take it out if you ever sell the bike like the PC. Gonna have to make a decision sometime on them.
Really like your seat, how wide is the front ?
Also my 07 Dyna Street Bob (bought it 35 days ago) doesn't show a light for 6th gear, should it ?

TMax is just so expensive and you can't take it out if you ever sell the bike like the PC. Gonna have to make a decision sometime on them.
Really like your seat, how wide is the front ?

TMax is not married to the bike.

Harley manual shows 230*f normal, my oil with the oil cooler is rarely over 200*f.

It's a Mustang touring seat, We usually ride two up on fairly long group rides
(200 to 300 miles) and need the comfort also quiet mufflers (older seniors).

Al

TMax is not married to the bike.

Al

What he said!

A couple of things here.We have 2 2008 Softails fitted with T/maxes.In OZ,all Harleys come with the Smart security system fitted as standard,and we have had NO issues along the lines that you mentioned.Bike 1 has had the T/max for 2 years and the other for over 18 months.
Secondly,you can always remove the T/max and O2 sensors;and refit the standard ECM and sensors if you sell.Only takes a couple of hours.

Go for it.

Thanks for all the input! It sounds like all the functions were discussing are controlled through some other devices so its a go from my end. Like was mentioned, I can always take it off and sell it if it doesn't do what I expect. Now I just have to wander out to the ole money tree and harvest some dough...LOL...

Thanks again all.
Steve

Back