free website stats program Thundermax auto tune | Harley Davidson Forums

Thundermax auto tune

Ruckus

I was looking for information on Thundermax auto tune. I have it installed on a 2007 Roadglide, and I like it. I have read the manual, but I am still to new to just start adjusting settings. I have a spark tap that I can't seem to get rid of... Any ideas?

The first step is to make note when you hear spark knock. At what RPM does it occur,, under what type of load condition does it happen and what % of twist grip does it happen.

The spark advance curve(s) is always changing while ridding the bike.
(1) Make a note of when it happens. (above conditions)
(2) Print a copy of BOTH spark advance curves for each cylinder.
(3) Reference or COMPARE those times you heard knock to the spark curve maps.
(4) Reduce the advance in those cells areas where the knock occurs by 3* at a time.

If you want, upload a copy of your curves so we can see them and state exactly when and where you hear the knock. (That is, what RPM, % of grip and amount of engine load).

I don't think I can view that file in it's native format without having the Thundermax software. Nothing I have will open it.

I think it is the same if I sent you a SE stage 1 file. Without the SE software, you would not be able to view it.

But I believe you can view it, and then copy and past the maps you see and upload them as attachments.

I could do that with my SE setup.

Im still trying to copy it. I downloaded Zippers software and I tried to copy it. But I havn't had much luck so for. But I will keep trying.

Im still trying to copy it. I downloaded Zippers software and I tried to copy it. But I havn't had much luck so for. But I will keep trying.

Send me a link to that Zippers software you are using. Also send me a link to the ThunderMax user guide manual. I may be able to figure out what is going on.

If nothing else, I may be able to open that tune file.

Send me a link to that Zippers software you are using. Also send me a link to the ThunderMax user guide manual. I may be able to figure out what is going on.

If nothing else, I may be able to open that tune file.

Just type "Smartlink Thundermax" into your search engine.(exactly as typed;sans commas).The very first result that comes up is the Smartlink IV Tuning manual.

Full of good reading and ideas for itchy fingers.

Ignition timing starts on page 135. The topic of spark advance and timing with the ThunderMax is easy because it does NOT use a MAP sensor (sensor for engine load) to optimize your spark advance curve. This is actually an inferior way to look at and determine what the best setting should be. What's going to happen is you will get rid of the detonation but you may also feel a lose in some performance. It is the price you pay when using a system which uses "RPM only" for determining proper spark timing. If you read into the 10 pages devoted to spark advance, it is clear to me they are trying to make a very simply topic into something more complex than it really is. That's because they don't want you to feel that power lose that will happen due to the fact a MAP sensor is not used in determining spark advance.
The Thundermax unit also has no form of knock control within the ECM.

With that said, just ride the bike and note at what RPM you hear engine knock. Write down the RPM points you hear it. Then just go into the map and pull back the settings in those RPM ranges. It is just that simple. I would still like to be able to open that file in order to see what they think your engine can get by with.

Back