free website stats program thrust washer missing or not | Harley Davidson Forums

thrust washer missing or not

03ultra45385

03 ultra. Replacing primary chain, adjuster and seals. Parts book and shop manual show for a Thrust Washer between the crankshaft bearing and the Sprocket Shaft Spacer on the primary side of the engine unless it is a screamin eagle which it is not. Not sure how thick it is and what effect it would have on the alignment of both primary sprockets. But it wasn't there when I removed the oil seal unless it is actually between the crankshaft and the cranksaft bearing inner race which isn't where the diagrams I have seen show it.

03 ultra. Replacing primary chain, adjuster and seals. Parts book and shop manual show for a Thrust Washer between the crankshaft bearing and the Sprocket Shaft Spacer on the primary side of the engine unless it is a screamin eagle which it is not. Not sure how thick it is and what effect it would have on the alignment of both primary sprockets. But it wasn't there when I removed the oil seal unless it is actually between the crankshaft and the cranksaft bearing inner race which isn't where the diagrams I have seen show it.

On my 2000 dyna , I remember Not using a spacer for the reason OR making the proper sized one ?? It didn't line up with the sprockets for some reason.... Long time ago.....

If you take a Straight edge Off the sprockets it is easy to see What you need and how much...THEY HAVE TO ALIGN. Not run off set.. Take the time to Make sure they align....

Many put theirs together and Wear out the sprockets and the chain by Being In a HURRY and Not checking alignment.. And using ,making, or buying the right spacer to do the job right.

signed....BUBBIE

In the 05 manual there are two thrust washers shown. One is internal on the left hand side of the crank shaft and is kept in place by the bearing inner race the other is outboard of the bearing and kept in place by the spacer which protrudes from the case and thru the outer seal. There is a spacer that is used only for the low output stator. If you did not replace the outer seal on the engine lower unit you would not see the thrust washer.

Looks like the trust washer does go between crank and inner baering race, it is just shown in both parts and manual (same diagram) outside the case with the seal and spacer. So we assemble the primary and check sprocket alignment, If it needs shiming then I will figure where the shim goes.

Looks like the trust washer does go between crank and inner baering race, it is just shown in both parts and manual (same diagram) outside the case with the seal and spacer. So we assemble the primary and check sprocket alignment, If it needs shiming then I will figure where the shim goes.

I'm not sure what stator your ultra has, my RG has the high output,45amp, and from the drawings it says to the spacer is only used with the lower output stator.

Found the thrust washer when I was wiping out where the new crankshaft seal was going. Now I know what it looks like and where to find it. What I thought was the end of the bearing was the thrust washer. Removed it long enought to check it for any wear as it looked like it had been polished by the spacer that runs thru the seal. It had no wear/ridges unlike the rotor which being made with softer steel was ate up on both sides as well as the teeth were beat up from rockin on the crankshaft because of the compensator nut coming lose. Anyway it all went back together without any problems. Reconnected the ground cable and started it. The absence of all the rattling/knocking was gone and as a bonus the fairing was vibrating much less than it had been. Took it for a quick ride. About 7-8 blocks down the road I realised that the volt meter was only showing battery voltage. Checked stator , no grounds, .003 ohms thru windings, 13volts ac at idle and around 30-34 volts ac as rpms were raised. I hear there is a sale at the dealer tomorrow,might get 10 to 20% off on a new regulator. I hate gremlins..

Back