free website stats program Throwover Leather Bags On A Nightster | Harley Davidson Forums

Throwover Leather Bags On A Nightster

Grammaton

If you have a Nightster and want to put saddle bags on it and buy the Harley-Davidson "Leather Throwover Saddlebags" part #91008-82B and the chrome saddlebag support brackets, part #90799-94C because the Harley catalog and the website both tell you these are the right bags, then save your money.

The bags don't fit at all. They will mount, but they don't fit properly, no matter how you position them on the bike. They rub on the tail lights. The left one rubs the license plate. Because of the ride height, the bag on the right either rubs the pipe or the tail light.

When I saw how the dealer had mounted them I would have said they were unacceptable but I just wanted to get out of the dealership. I figured I would remount them properly when I got home. I have given up and taken them off the bike. The support brackets don't fit correctly either. It looks like there should have been another bushing for the shock mount point.

The bags themselves are okay as far as bags go. The inside part that would ride against the bracket (if they would fit properly) is lined with a very stiff sheet of plastic. There is a small sheet of plastic on the bottom inside the bag, I suppose to avoid rubbing the pipe.

Smitty, you're like the 10th person I've heard say that!! You'd think that with the number of throw-over bags available that SOMEONE got it right... I'm guessing not.

Throwover bags do work, BUT you have to try them and fit them first. Guess I was lucky, but mine fit perfectly, the yoke under the seat for security, and between the front shock mount and tuck under the rear signal lights and cost $130 clearance from Drag Specialties, but that was because I wanted leather, and not spend big bucks if I decided on something more permanent later. Smitty, you said it before..."--rider can justify and buy 'bout anything he wants."

That said, if rider does not mind spending $400 or more for fitted quick mount bags I would say go for it, as Leatherworks, Boss Bags and others are certainly nice all leather bags Made in USA out of quality heavy guage leather and look good on or off the bike...then $500 for touriing seat and then touring rack, etc. and then I would have a "bagger"...
Hah..Road Glide looks better and better all the time! :newsmile093:

Last edited:
I am considering bags at this time. Does anyone have recomendations? I was considering throwovers, but now I don't know. I ride an 09 Night Train. thanks

Your specific needs determine style and bag mounting selection. Do you use your bike for long term touring with lots of gear? Go with more permanent mounts and heavy leather Leatherworks, Boss Bags etc. or moulded bags HD dealer has 2009 Parts and Accessory Catalog (FREE) for ideas. If it is for short hauls, saddle/tail trunk makes things quick and easy...TourMaster, Saddleman, Chase Harper etc. Be patient and think about what features you want and need as well as durablility and quality of course.

I am considering bags at this time. Does anyone have recomendations? I was considering throwovers, but now I don't know. I ride an 09 Night Train. thanks

I spotted some earlier today and think I might get them for those few times I need to load the bike up. I like the Edge Ghost Brackets better than the Easy Brackets too.

I can't post links yet but if you go to ebay and look up "EDGE HARD MOUNT SADDLEBAGS FOR EASY GHOST BRACKETS" you can see them. They are in the DHS Unlimited store.

Just saw this thread and thought I'd post this question:
I bought some fairly inexpensive throwover bags at the NEC Bike Show in Birmingham UK before Christmas to carry my purchases home. They just lace onto the rear shocks and to each other over or under the seat. They actually sit surprisingly well in front of the rear signals and at a nice height over the pipe. I'd thought about bags or a rack for a while as I really HATE using a rucksack when I'm on my bike with any stuff to carry JMO.

The problem is the Yoke (as I believe NHD78F referred to it) is in two parts one to each bag which should fit under the seat, and these carry a number of lace holes so that the height of the bags on the rear fender can be set by choosing lace holes near or far from the bag (if this makes sense): this and the thickness of the leather material prevents my Sundowner 2up seat being able to sit back down properly onto the bike when I tried to fit them under the seat.
Any suggestions?
I've thought of cutting the wing or the yoke of each bag closer to the bag itself so that it's only lacing running under the seat. Currently I have to just "throw them over" the pillion seat" which looks too cowboy and rough and ready for my taste. I don't want permanent bags or attachment docking on my Sporty which is why I bought these. If there is no easy solution - it's not the end of the world as they were not expensive and I can use them in the throw over the horse style if needs be and the sissy bar with rack has been ordered :D.
Thanks folks.

The yoke can be shaped in more or less an "hourglass" like shape to fit under the seat, yet clear the underseat pan hardware to match the protective film on the fender. Even leather can "buff" the paint off the fender in time. Newer bags that I put on (Leatherneck Jims) have zipper to yoke attachement hidden under yoke flap, so you can remove one or both bags and leave the yoke on the bike. :p See attachments below:

Rider-n-Pillion_Mods-1.jpg

The passenger pillion cover is held by velcro straps with vinyl coated flat metal hooks under the seat lip, just above the saddlebag yoke. I like the simplicity of the setup. For security, I put fastener thru eyelet and lock down access to zipper fly tab on each bag. :s

2004SportsterXL1200R9-9-09-1.jpg

Good luck with finding what works for you! :D

Last edited:
Back