free website stats program Throttle won't snap back 2008 FXDC | Harley Davidson Forums

Throttle won't snap back 2008 FXDC

ChiroRick

Took my throttle off today to get my new 4in curved risers installed...when I had my new bars put on, the throttle cables were ran between the fork tubes just below the top of the triple tree, then to the throttle, because the original bars required a longer cable, and putting lower bars required routing the throttle cables that way to prevent it from sticking out. Putting on the risers put the bar closer to stock position, so I had to unhook the throttle cables, and put them the way they should be. Put the switch housing back together, and the throttle won't snap back. When I roll the throttle back, it stays there. Tried different combinations of loosening one cable, tightening another, and vice versa. The cable that is actually activating the throttle is working just fine, but it's not snapping it back. (That's the best way I can describe it). The throttle cables are in the right position. Skinny cable in the front, fat cable closest to the rider. Suggestions? Frustrating...I don't know how to make this right.

The way I do it is to loosen the return cable(also called Idle cable) all the way,that's the cable closest to you sitting on the bike.Adjust the throttle cable,farthest from you,until it will reach full throttle.Watch your carburetor to see the throttle hit it's stop when rotating throttle grip to full throttle.Check it for snap back.Then adjust the return cable to take up the slack in it. Once that is done check your snap back again.If the return cable is to tight it will affect the snap back. You want a small amount of free play at the grip after adjusting both cables. If this fails look at the cable entire route to carb. for any twisting or binding.
tourbox

Possibility the grip is too far up the bars and the end of grip is rubbing end of bar? You say when you roll it back it stays. Is that when you open throttle and let go it stays? Or when you close throttle it stays closed? Snap back, to me means hearing the throttle cam hit the stop. I adjusted my cable too tight once and it barely contacted the stop, loosening made it better. Do you have your air cleaner off so you can see the butterfly fully closed?

FIXED!!! Bought some Inox cable lube, lubed the cables and the adjustments, as well as lubed up the friction plate. Problem solved.

FIXED!!! Bought some Inox cable lube, lubed the cables and the adjustments, as well as lubed up the friction plate. Problem solved.
If some lube helped, then I suggest that you may not be done yet. That would be an indication that your repair work introduced a bit of friction that was not there before, and that the lube was able to touch it a bit. I would go back and examine the routing of the full length very carefully, to make sure that you don't have bend radii too tight, or any other constriction. You might be good. I would just make absolutely sure you are good before you rely on it.

You might actually have a fray on a cable, due to wear, during use as previously routed; rerouting making the fray interfere. That could result in a cable break down the road. Those never happen at convenient times or places.

Be careful.

Enjoy,
Rich P

This is exactly what my cables did on my last trip, one broke in MN, I keep my cables lubed each month Keep an eye out for more binding:s

If some lube helped, then I suggest that you may not be done yet. That would be an indication that your repair work introduced a bit of friction that was not there before, and that the lube was able to touch it a bit. I would go back and examine the routing of the full length very carefully, to make sure that you don't have bend radii too tight, or any other constriction. You might be good. I would just make absolutely sure you are good before you rely on it.

You might actually have a fray on a cable, due to wear, during use as previously routed; rerouting making the fray interfere. That could result in a cable break down the road. Those never happen at convenient times or places.

Be careful.

Enjoy,
Rich P

True...but my bike is an 08 and barely has 4k miles on it, so I'd like to think that the cable isn't frayed/worn, but you never know. I lubed it up pretty good. Gonna take it out for a ride this weekend to make sure nothing crops up before I take it to NC/TN in a couple weeks.

Back