Throttle tensioner

Discussion in 'Dyna Models' started by Ian Wayne, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Ian Wayne

Ian Wayne Member

My throttle tensioner no longer sets any more anyone ever repaired or replaced theirs? She's a 02 Wide Glide. Thanx Ian...

2. TQuentin1

TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

Here is a look-see:

THROTTLE CONTROL - 2002 Harley Davidson FXDWG3

I bet that item #45 is split in half. Need to take the switch housing halves apart and get a new one in there.

TQ

Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  3. glider

glider Veteran Member

I agree with TQ :D

4. twooodogz

twooodogz Member

what is Harley's official reasoning for that Tensioner anyway? It scares me to set it then have to slow down fast. Is it really meant to be a poor man's cruise control? only time I use it is to keep the bike running in the warm up period.

5. Bud White

Bud White Well-Known Member Retired Moderators

Thats what its supposed to be used for

not for cruise though many do

6. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

In a nutshell yes, it is a poor man's cruise control...but it is a friction device that is supposed to be set to "just" hold the speed steady, but you easily overide with a modest "twist of the wrist" and is an old school device. Harley's are kinda like tractors, but in a good way, of course! Newer technology w/ EFI and microprocessor technology has allowed newer bikes use of electronic cruise control...

Last edited: Jun 28, 2009
  7. Ian Wayne

Ian Wayne Member

Thanx Quentin for the link to the blow up pic,thats a big help.My factory service manual didn't say too much about it.Thank you everybody..Ian