free website stats program Throttle Stuck Open | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Throttle Stuck Open

When lubing braided cables be aware they can leak thru and stain the outer covering

I did not intend to start an extended conversation on whether to lube cables or not. Simply stated, per the fourth paragraph of the article the dbmg posted, Teflon coated cables don't require lubrication and lubrication can actually be detrimental to the long term operability of a Teflon coated cable. Additionally, if you check the service manual for the later models that are equipped with Teflon coated cables, I don't believe one will find instructions on cable lubrication.

When a standard cable becomes sluggish on one of my bikes, I replace it with an HD teflon coated cable; just what I do. I am not trying to convince anyone to stop lubricating cables of any sort; that was not the intent of my OP. However, there is a difference in lubrication requirements between standard non-coated and Teflon coated cables which I was pointing out for anyone that might not know of the differences; just providing information................;)

This is why I asked about nylon versus Teflon...
This is from Barnett website:
Barnett High Efficiency Inner Wire
cat_71.jpg

Standard on all Harley-Davidson (1987 & later), Indian, Victory and Metric Cruiser Barnett clutch cables

We were the FIRST to manufacture High Efficiency clutch cables. Our "HE" wire features a nylon coating and we add a super slick silicone lube to provide longer life, ultra smooth cable action, and reduced lever effort. Exceeds OEM cables in pull cycle testing.

Wanted to wait until verification of TBW and that the twist grip is moving freely but there is at least ONE more thing to try. The throttle twist grip will move "forward" (opposite direction from opening the throttle) a small amount. That is an option to disengage cruise and starting in 08, I believe to turn EITMS on and off. That is why I asked about holding the front brake at shutdown. If the twist grip is rolled forward when the engine is turned off, that position is remembered by the ECM as the desired idle value. When the twist grip springs back to its normal position the ECM sees that as a throttle increase thus commanding the throttle to open a bit and causes high idle at the next start, even after warm up.

To reschedule the ECM back to the normal twist grip position being proper idle do the following. Have the RUN/STOP switch (on the switch box by the throttle twist grip) in RUN. Do NOT touch the twist grip. Turn the master switch (on the tank) on and off 4 times, leaving it in each position for about 3 seconds each. Don't start the engine during this process. PROVIDING that the accidentally rescheduled idle setting in the ECM is your problem, the engine will now idle normally. Avoid accidentally putting any forward pressure on the twist grip at shutdown and you should never have the problem again. If you have throttle cables, this whole post is a waste of time.
Read your post here and it is dead on. Thanks, saved me money and head ache.

Back