free website stats program Throttle Screw | Harley Davidson Forums

Throttle Screw

lowrider1963

Dumb question. There is a star adjustment screw under the throttle, what is this for? I was cleaning and tuned it slightly, but do not know which way (CW or CCW). Is this for the idle speed?

Just used to add some friction resistance to the twist grip to reduce rider fatigue on long trips. Your never suppose to apply enough friction to where the grip will not return to idle on its own. Owners manual tells all about it.

Dumb question. There is a star adjustment screw under the throttle, what is this for? I was cleaning and tuned it slightly, but do not know which way (CW or CCW). Is this for the idle speed?

It is a TENSIONER.. I used mine on my FXDS to hold the Idle up after starting and pushing the enricher all the way in early...

I have also tightened it enough on a long straight ride to "hold" the speed at the throttle so i can loosen my grip on the right hand..(harley says it is to HELP hold)

Don't try to Open star it too far,,,, It will stop open easily, further opening will Ruin it..... It will work like a bolt Righty tighty(IN) and lefty loosey(OUT)... After it contacts IN and touches the throttle cable cam and tighten about a turn to hold the throttle(one star point at a time)..

When done with the Help it afforded, I then turn "8" star points(single points not turns) Out to the loose position... I leave it there until I need to have it Help Hold the throttle open again.... Remember YOU Have two cables.... One for opening and ONE for closing... You never want the Star Drag TOO Tight or it will make it difficult to shut down the throttle and Dangerous. Go lightly until you can operate it with a thumb while riding.... IT is NOT a LOOK thing it is a FEEL thing,,,, Don't confuse the two!!!!!

People get hurt or killed Monkeying while riding... Another is the gas valve..IT is a FEEL to position and switch NOT a LOOK and turn thing while riding!...

Hope this Helps... I know, It way too much but You gotta know and maybe another will NEED to read and understand what I posted..

Pheeeeeeeeew!

signed....BUBBIE

Looking at your year and model it might be throttle by wire?

Thanks Bubbie. I have done work om my bikes for years, but just never had to adjust the throttle tension. Learn something new all the time!

Bubbie

You have earned the esteemed "pork chop " award for that answer.:D

Porkchop2-1.jpg

Bubbie

You have earned the esteemed "pork chop " award for that answer.:D

Porkchop2-1.jpg

Thanks Glider,

You gotta know "that" pork chop is Tender cause You beat it over my head a few times on Me BAD answers...LOL :D

signed....pork-chop Bubbie

Thanks Glider,

You gotta know "that" pork chop is Tender cause You beat it over my head a few times on Me BAD answers...LOL :D

signed....pork-chop Bubbie

Where does he find these treasures?:s

Back