free website stats program Throttle is stuck. Need some advice | Harley Davidson Forums

Throttle is stuck. Need some advice

I just installed heated handgrips on my 02 Heritage Softail. Before I installed the handdrips my throttle would snap back as it should. After I installed the hand grips my throttle is stuck. I can move the throttle but whatever position i move it to, it stays there. I unscrewed the two screws holding the housing together and then ofcourse the throttle moves freely. If I unscrew the two screws just a bit the throttle will again move freely. I cant obvioulsy leave them not snugged down because obviously they will just vibrate out at some point. Am I missing something? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I just installed heated handgrips on my 02 Heritage Softail. Before I installed the handdrips my throttle would snap back as it should. After I installed the hand grips my throttle is stuck. I can move the throttle but whatever position i move it to, it stays there. I unscrewed the two screws holding the housing together and then ofcourse the throttle moves freely. If I unscrew the two screws just a bit the throttle will again move freely. I cant obvioulsy leave them not snugged down because obviously they will just vibrate out at some point. Am I missing something? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

From the way you describe the problem, it sounds like there is interference between the grip housing and the new grip. Did the heated grips come with instructions? If so, did you follow them carefully? If so, did they indicate that "in some cases minor modifications of the grip housing may be required" or something like that?

Before getting out your rat tail files, I would try a bit of faily thin white lube (lithium) and see if that provides enough slickness to let the throttle return to idle when released. If not, then you are probably gonna have to modify something - either the grip or the housing. I would opt for the grip.

TQ

Back